Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen half wall for granite counter top

I am getting ready to make a half wall for a island that comes right off an interior wall.

I want to have this as a two tier island with seating on the other end between two 18" deep cabinets to support the granite counter top on the top tier.

I need two outlets that lay horizontal on the lower end in the half wall.

What is the standard height to raise up the 2nd tier in relation to the first tier? I was thinking it is 6" higher, but wasn't sure.

Is there any clearance issues that you need to account for to fit outlets between the two tiers?

When framing for this do you need a double top plate to support the granite weight?

Attached is a simple design for what I am trying to do
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen half wall for granite counter top-counter.jpg  

House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #2

no comments or why are you doing it that way's? *lol*

House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #3

sounds to me that you have it pretty well planned out.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #4
DIY staff

Just a tip on building a floating wing wall with a lot of weight on top---

Extend the framing below the floor and anchor it to the floor joists---just on the free end---

As to height---grab a ruler and head out to a kitchen show room and find one that is comfortable.

You will want 4" for the electric---and the boxes will need to be let in to the framing---so get that done before any covering is installed---
Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #5

what do you mean by "let into the framing"?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
DIY staff

If you want the free end extremely strong---cut a hole in the floor as large as the double 2x4 end---extend that through the hole and attach it firmly to the floor joists----some cross blocking might be required if the joists are not right where you want them---

As to the origin of that 'Let IN'----that's an old term describing cutting in a brace --English I believe --been in use for several hundred years--
Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
If you want the free end extremely strong---cut a hole in the floor as large as the double 2x4 end---extend that through the hole and attach it firmly to the floor joists----some cross blocking might be required if the joists are not right where you want them---

As to the origin of that 'Let IN'----that's an old term describing cutting in a brace --English I believe --been in use for several hundred years--
ahh, alright.. well this is going on a concrete slab so no floor joists to worry about
Old 11-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
DIY staff

OOPS---disregard all that ---Your drawing helps---you have cabinets to add stability---I must have overlooked the drawing----you will be fine---
Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #9

yeah. but you should still bolt the cabinets to the floor.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-01-2012)