Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #1

Share |

Kitchen extension

I'm trying to extend my kitchen out and add a countertop sitting area. I'm debating on whether I should tackle this myself or hire a kitchen remodeling company. I've seen ads around my area where they are offering kitchen remodels from 6 to 10k for a 10x10 kitchen. I couldn't find any reviews or complaints regarding the company. Their price seems really low considering they are offering solid wood doors with plywood construction cabinets and granite countertops. If I do the remodel myself, I will likely go with a quartz countertop. I am fairly proficient in carpentry, plumbing, electrical, etc. Do you guys have any suggestions? The picture isn't to scale. It is just a rough sketch. I'm currently trying to design the kitchen layout using a software program.

I guess I'm looking for tips on where to buy cabinets and the countertop. Also, any general tips for designing the layout or the process of remodeling it.

Thank you

bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Tileguy

Kitchen extension

Now wait a minute.

You are adding-on, but, you are comparing the cost of that to a simple rehab sales ad? Are you shure you want to do that? The cost of the two different methods are not comparable.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #3

Kitchen extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Now wait a minute.

You are adding-on, but, you are comparing the cost of that to a simple rehab sales ad? Are you shure you want to do that? The cost of the two different methods are not comparable.
I know it will cost more to add on. I was just using their price as a ball park. The extension only adds two to three feet to the kitchen. I will be doing the flooring myself. I'm not sure if the remodeling company will let me do some of the work or not, but I think they will be ok with the flooring. I'm not really talking about a drastic kitchen remodel. There will be minor framing, drywall, and electrical. Most of the kitchen remodel is just swapping out cabinets. The price in the ad just includes the price of cabinets for a 10x10 kitchen and the countertop installed. I am going to factor in the cost of doing the flooring, framing, electrical, etc.

Last edited by bluefitness; 11-03-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Ultimatetouch

Kitchen extension

My opinion would be to hire a design/build/remodeling company or hire an architect if your giong to do it yourself. Your going to get much better advice if you have an architect come in and discuss what you want rather then taking design help on line. He will visit the site and give you ideas on flow, layout, etc. Start with a great plan. As far as those adds go there includeing the most economical materials. Most of the time its not what the client has in there mind.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
Tileguy

Kitchen extension

OK I'm still confused!

What about the cost of the foundation for the new add-on? I have never seen a three foot addition that was cost effective in any way.

What are your set-backs and easements? Will they allow an addition of any kind?

Quote:
There will be minor framing, drywall, and electrical.
And footings or foundation, and roofing, and eaves, and insulating, and permits, and inspections, and etc.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #6

Kitchen extension

I'm not building an addition. I'm just extending the kitchen into existing living space. There is a huge dining room to the right of the kitchen. I'm just going to extend the kitchen into it. There isn't a wall that goes up to the ceiling on the part I'm extending. It is just a half wall that the base cabinets are mounted to. It is a very simple extension (I hope).
Old 11-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #7

Kitchen extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetouch View Post
My opinion would be to hire a design/build/remodeling company or hire an architect if your giong to do it yourself
Lowes, HD & most lumber & places that sell cabinets offer design services for free
Giving 3d walk thru of what the change would look like
No need to hire someone
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
Ultimatetouch

Kitchen extension

Scuba dave you really want to fight hugh. Your following me around the site quoting my post. your entitled to your opinion. People will take yours or mine. There educated and they will decide. Read a little harder last I checked home depot doesnt do plans for an addition.

Ive edited this post since I read above its not an addition. Even so an architect and a good plan are the best ways to start. Its just an extra set of eyes, ears and knowledge.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 11-04-2010 at 08:59 AM. Reason: removed personal attack
ultimatetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #9

Kitchen extension

Quote:
Read a little harder last I checked home depot doesnt do plans for an addition
No fighting at all....just giving the poster more information
Actually they will do the cabinet & kitchen design
I did read, he stated he is doing a renovation of existing space
As long as he provides the measurements of the new space HD, Lowes or any lumber yard etc that sells cabinets can do the design
I actually bought the software to did the design & renovation of my last kitchen & bathroom
And I'll be doing the same for this house
I've already met with HD once & they gave me one possible layout for this house based on my plans
Its actually much easier to work directly with the supplier of the cabinets

If you continue with personal attacks you will find your posting rights revoked
Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #10

Kitchen extension

I'll stop by the big box stores. I have almost completed my design using the software I purchased. It has taken me longer than I expected. I'm concerned now with utilizing space (lazy susan's, garbage in cabinet, etc.). Does anyone know how long a kitchen remodel takes. For example, how long does it take for the cabinets to be delivered? Also, how long does it take to make/cut a quartz countertop? I'm hoping they are flexible with countertop dimensions. I would like to design a seating area in the extension.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #11
Tileguy

Kitchen extension

Quote:
I'm trying to extend my kitchen out and add a countertop sitting area.
Ah-ha! Now I get it! My bad. I took your words above to mean what they said. So you really aren't "extending out and adding".

You are expanding within existing space. Got it!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #12

Kitchen extension

Delivery time will depend upon what you order
Special order cabinets they usually tell you 6-8 weeks
But mine arrived much faster
How long to renovate depends upon how big the kitchen is & the work involved
And who is doing the work
There is a usually a lot involved with a kitchen remodel
Electric, plumbing, getting the cabinets installed right
Some pieces of the cabinets I ordered were damaged on arrival
So that was another 2-3 weeks to get replacement pieces shipped
Old 11-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
Civil Engineer

Kitchen extension

I remodeled my entire kitchen, which included removing a bearing wall separating the kitchen from the dining room, building my own cabinets (about a dozen of them), installing a tile floor with electric underfloor heat, installing all new appliances, building an island, rewiring the kitchen, replumbing the kitchen, installing new lighting, installing granite countertop, installing built in cupboards, and repainting. I contracted for the granite countertop installation. The whole project only took six years, still isn't completely done.

The way I estimate how long a job will take that I have never done before is to estimate how long it will take assuming everything goes OK, triple that estimate, and add sufficient time to have a few beers at the end of each day. This seems to provide a reasonable estimate.

If you contract all the work, the time it takes is totally dependent on how aggressively the contractor pursues the work, which is hard to tell in advance.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
Ultimatetouch

Kitchen extension

Did you work off of a plan by an architect? THis would have cut down time spent figuring some things out. Im sure you did the work because you enjoyed doing the work. I give you credit for pursuing somthing you like. It all depends on what the individual is looking to accomplish. Self satisfaction and accomplishment by proving to yourself that you can do it yourself. There is pride that goes along with that. On the other hand 6 years is a really expensive job. Scuba Dave my point above before you lunged at me was simply that time spent with a professional designing one of the most expensive rooms in the house is time and money well spent for the majority of people. Its silly to think that home depot has the same ideas as everyone. Unless your just looking for a mediocre job.
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I remodeled my entire kitchen, which included removing a bearing wall separating the kitchen from the dining room, building my own cabinets (about a dozen of them), installing a tile floor with electric underfloor heat, installing all new appliances, building an island, rewiring the kitchen, replumbing the kitchen, installing new lighting, installing granite countertop, installing built in cupboards, and repainting. I contracted for the granite countertop installation. The whole project only took six years, still isn't completely done.

The way I estimate how long a job will take that I have never done before is to estimate how long it will take assuming everything goes OK, triple that estimate, and add sufficient time to have a few beers at the end of each day. This seems to provide a reasonable estimate.

If you contract all the work, the time it takes is totally dependent on how aggressively the contractor pursues the work, which is hard to tell in advance.
ultimatetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #15

Kitchen extension

Quote:
Scuba Dave my point above before you lunged at me was simply that time spent with a professional designing one of the most expensive rooms in the house is time and money well spent for the majority of people
I didn't "lunge" at you
Many people can't afford a pro designer...or do not need one
I had HD or Lowes come out & measure for the counter top
They pre-made it & delivered it
I had several designs of my own & different ideas
I had several sessions to go over the design & different options before I finalized & ordered my cabinets
Not a mediocre job at all - maple cabinets
Taller then what most people put in @40"

6 years isn't expensive
Many people take longer with DIY as they tackle a project a little bit at a time
HD/Lowes & other cabinet suppliers have done tons of different kitchen layouts...and its free
You can even go to multiple suppliers to get different input...for free
As much or more experience then a designer