DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Kitchen Countertop - Granite Overlay Pro/Con

7K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  aaliasmith 
#1 ·
We are looking into our options for the kitchen counters. Friends of ours have had the granite overlay done in their kitchen - and while I'm impressed with the look, I'm wondering about the possible issues. Their overlay is 1/4" (with an undermount granite sink) which was placed over the top of the existing builder-grade laminate countertops, same as what is currently in our house.

In our development (about 4 years old) the only upgrades available from the builder were granite tiles. We were the 6th built home (of more than 150) and since we were built, most of the houses around us went in without upgrades. No one that we know of has slab. For quite a few reasons, I feel like going full-on slab granite or quartz would be economical overkill given our location, etc. I hate the look of granite or ceramic tile on countertops though, so the overlay has me curious.

Does anyone have experience with this? Can you think of pros and cons?

#4 ·
Okay - after 16 pages of posts, I'm JUST as confused as before. That read like a giant argument against/for granite (and radon issues, gak) plus a cost comparison which was based on the prices given by individual franchises setting their OWN product cost...

Everyone mentioning the Seattle branch had positive comments, which was nice. I'd be using them as well.

Guess it is time to get out my measurements and do my own research.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.