Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen Countertop - Granite Overlay Pro/Con

We are looking into our options for the kitchen counters. Friends of ours have had the granite overlay done in their kitchen - and while I'm impressed with the look, I'm wondering about the possible issues. Their overlay is 1/4" (with an undermount granite sink) which was placed over the top of the existing builder-grade laminate countertops, same as what is currently in our house.

In our development (about 4 years old) the only upgrades available from the builder were granite tiles. We were the 6th built home (of more than 150) and since we were built, most of the houses around us went in without upgrades. No one that we know of has slab. For quite a few reasons, I feel like going full-on slab granite or quartz would be economical overkill given our location, etc. I hate the look of granite or ceramic tile on countertops though, so the overlay has me curious.

Does anyone have experience with this? Can you think of pros and cons?
christalynn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Tileguy

Do a search here for "Granite Transformations". There is a thread or two (I think) but don't remember the jist.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #3

Thank you so much for the tip - I was searching for overlay and couldn't find any threads. I do try hard to search first!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #4

Okay - after 16 pages of posts, I'm JUST as confused as before. That read like a giant argument against/for granite (and radon issues, gak) plus a cost comparison which was based on the prices given by individual franchises setting their OWN product cost...

Everyone mentioning the Seattle branch had positive comments, which was nice. I'd be using them as well.

Guess it is time to get out my measurements and do my own research.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph12 View Post
I have many year of experience in home remodelling in taxes , Dallas and other countries of USA. There are many home remodelling contractor in Texas and Dallas city
Wow...
Old 04-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #6

If you do not like the granite tiles you can go for granite counter tops these will look great , you can also check this link if you need to know about counter tops
http://www.wholesalegmt.com/
aaliasmith is offline   Reply With Quote