Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #1

Share |

kitchen clean slate

So we're buying an older house (built 1949) that has the original kitchen...

As viewed in my diagram:
"top" wall has the window which looks out on the backyard
"left" wall is shared with the dining room, has doorway to the dining room near the top
"right" wall has a doorway near the top which leads to a little space that has an exterior door to a rear porch and also the steps to the 2nd floor
"bottom" wall has a doorway on the right which leads to a front hall that splits in three directions toward bedrooms/bathroom, living room or front entrance.

The kitchen is approx. 9'6" from left to right, and approx. 13' from top to bottom, those are "wall to wall" numbers not including existing cabinets along the top wall.

It currently has a wall of cabinets on the "top" wall where the window is.

The window is slightly off-center toward the left (maybe 4-5") and the sink is approx. centered below it. I could flank the window with 36" cabinets and there would be approx. a 5-6" gap on the top between top and right walls, not quite enough space for a 42" cabinet

They have stove and fridge on the "right" wall. That right wall has no cabinets on it, just the stove and fridge, and it's very akward because you walk in from the hall ("bottom") doorway in the diagram and the fridge is looming in front of you only a couple of feet ahead.

We think they must have kept a small table chairs in the corner formed by the "left" and "bottom" walls.

Anyway... it will be a clean slate as the cabinets and counter top are not salvageble.

We're trying to come up with some ideas for how to place things in the room without crowding or making it inefficient.

Any ideas on placement of things? Tearing down the wall between kitchen and dining room is an option, but will only really gain about 12" of width because our dining room set requires about 9' of width to be use reasonably--noted by the vertical dashed line to the left of the wall in the middle.

---

My conservative plan calls for leaving the wall in place and using it as the new cooking area, we'd have a 30" range approx. center flanked toward the bottom w/ a 24" cabinet and toward the top with an 18" cabinet, leaving approx. 12" left on that wall, which would be divided between filler at the bottom wall for the 24" cabinet door and leaving a gap between the 18" cabinet and the doorway.

The fridge would go on the "right" wall and stand by itself, a bit akward, but would be flanked most likely by a trash can and a stand-alone water cooler

---

My aggressive plan tears down that center wall and adds a breakfast bar in its place. I'd love to do that, because it will make the space feel larger, and let us eat while feeling like we're in the kitchen... but then I'm not sure where I'd put the range... btw, putting a slide-in range or similar on the breakfast bar is a no-go with my partner

I figure I would need to either place it on the bottom wall, or possibly the right wall (which would mean the fridge would need to go on the bottom wall).

BTW, heat is currently via HW baseboard on the "left" wall, that will be routed into a toe-kick unit under whatever base cabinets are put up on the left wall.

bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Tileguy

kitchen clean slate

Why not first "close" on the property purchase before we get into all of this?

Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #3

kitchen clean slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Why not first "close" on the property purchase before we get into all of this?
Hi Bud, you're right--I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, so I should take a breather and wait for the closing.

But, our situation is that the kitchen/bath are not usible as is, so we have to renovate them both before moving in, so my goal here is to plan as much as possible in advance so that we can hit the ground running immedately after closing without spending time agonizing over the gross decisions like how the kitchen should be laid about because I'm sure we'll get bogged down enough in the individual details or issues as we go along
Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #4

kitchen clean slate

I would consider moving the door on the left and right walls in order to get the traffic path out of the work triangle. Then develop a "U" shaped layout like this image.
Attached Images

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #5

kitchen clean slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
I would consider moving the door on the left and right walls in order to get the traffic path out of the work triangle. Then develop a "U" shaped layout like this image.
Thanks for the suggestion!

I have thought about moving the "left" door further down toward the bottom which would allow me to form an "L" shape...

...but then I start to think about all that work just to slide a door way, and in the end I think it would limit any usefulness of the "bottom" wall...

Unfortunately the "right" door can not be moved because there is a stair case going up to the 2nd floor on the other side