DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Kitchen & Bath Remodeling (
-   -   Kitchen Cabinets - replace or reface? (

markley 01-20-2013 05:32 PM

Kitchen Cabinets - replace or reface?
Hi all.. I am about to begin remodeling our kitchen and up against the dilemma on whether to replace or reface our cabinets. The cabinets, which are in great shape (just do not like look/finish), are low end quality. We are not looking to spend too much on cabinets, so if we did buy new we would likely go with an "in-stock" cabinet at Lowes or Home Depot (which would be of the same quality as what we have). So it seems to me that we might as well just buy new doors/drawer fronts and veneer, which i calculated would be roughly half the price of buying new cabinets. Any suggestions?

Also, has anyone dealt with any companies that sell veneer and doors that they would recommend?
I found a few online: and

oh'mike 01-20-2013 07:34 PM

If you like the cabinet boxes refacing is a viable option---done proberly the results can be like new ---it's all in the boxes---

For door and drawer fronts---try posting next door at Woodworking Talk--Link at the bottom of the page---several pro cabinet makers there who buy their doors.

markley 01-21-2013 07:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestion! I just posted a similar topic on that forum.

Yeah, the boxes are in good's just that they consist of 7/16" particle board sides. Just not sure how well these will hold up in the long run.

oh'mike 01-21-2013 08:01 AM

Most door makers can also make raised panel ends caps to hide the old photo finished particle board ends---

You need to decide if the expense is worth while---new drawers can also be installed---the stock drawers are usually rather flimsy--

markley 01-21-2013 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah I was wondering about the end caps. Currently there is a 3/16" overhang on the side. Would I have to install a 3/16" "filler" piece in order to make the end flush prior to installing an end cap? See pic

markley 01-21-2013 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another pic of cabinets.

oh'mike 01-21-2013 08:29 AM

The end caps--raised panel ones---are rabbited on the lead edge--so the cap sets into the 1/4" recess and overlaps the face frame---

Often prefinished 1/4 inch plywood is cut to fit instead of using the more expensive raised panels--

markley 01-21-2013 10:59 AM

Gotcha..Yeah, i'd probably use prefinished 1/4 to fill hole then get the less expensive end cap.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1