Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Kitchen Cabinets - ready to assemble kind

Hi,

I realize there is a post a few threads down that asks about kitchen cabinets, but my question is a little different...

I would like to know if anyone has used, or installed kitchen cabinets from http://www.closeoutcabinets.ca/ or http://www.instockkitchens.com/ or http://www.interstockcabinets.com/. Most of these cabinets are marketed under the IPC or JSI cabinetry name. These cabinets are made entirely of wood, and they offer some really interesting prices. The wood is apparently from North America, then shipped to China for assembly, and then shipped back to North America. As they offer fewer kitchen models, they can seem to offer quite good prices.

This outfit doesnít really offer installation, they sell you ready to assembly cabinets, and you DIY. Instructions are given on their website. It seems straightforward and simple enough, but I wanted to know if any of you have dealt with or installed these yourself in your home, or a clients home. I would appreciate some feedback regarding these cabinets, and your thoughts on them. I am contemplating these for a rental unit I have in the duplex I own. These wood cabinets vs melamine cabinets are about 1000$ more yet look a lot nicer, and are made of regular wood, whereas the melamine cabinets are only made with melamine, 5/8ís though, and 120 density.

Has anyone had any quality issues with these, or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Ive searched online, and have found some good reviews, but I was worried that the website may have been biased, as there was a really big write up on them (2-3 pages with pics, good reviews). Also came across a complaint board with, no surprise, complaints. Warped wood, funny finish etc.. Im looking for any feedback, or comments on these RTA types from our fellow DIY'ers.

Thanks!

sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Call them and ask if they could send you a door sample----I have seen some Chinese RTA with plywood boxes and hardwood face frames and doors---

They looked very nice---the fellow said the assembly was fast--about 4 hours he said---My big concern was the finish---it looked good but a rather thin looking coat-----so time will tell.

He said they miss read the drawing and sent one cabinet the wrong size---so double check the work---

That company was Cabinets to Go----another member posted a serious conflict and canceled the order---

Just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents---American Pennies--you Canadians will need to round that up to a nickle----Mike----

Old 08-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Thanks Mike.

They have a dealer in Montreal, and I went to check them out, guy gave me a quote on site. Some of the box might be plywood, but that is not much of a concern for myself, as plywood is stronger than particle (melamine) board IMO. Any visible part of the cabinets is finished wood. It looked good and all, very nice actually, the lower price is just kinda throwing me off. Im a little iffy about the Chinese manufacturing part, but some much stuff comes from China, and that does not mean it is necessarily bad.

Have a link to that serious conflict? Id like to read up.

Many thanks.
sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

That was a while back---Thread title had 'cabinets to go' in the title----try the search feature----