Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

Kitchen cabinets hung "crooked"...

Our GC installed our custom Omega cabinets last week. Today I noticed that the corner hanging cabinets are crooked. One side is 18 1/4" above the counter and the other side is 17 3/4". It's a short cabinet, about 36" x 30" so the difference is extreme enough that I noticed enough to pull out my measuring tape to check it.

GC says it was hung crooked because the walls are not straight... something about the sheer wall on one side.

Really? Is there no simple way to hang the cabinet straight? I think if I were doing it (and I am no professional) even I could figure out some way to do it and trim the edge or something.....

sfsolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #2

Cabinets should be shimmed out to be straight & level
In many cases this then means some additional trim is needed to hide the gap between cabinet & the wall

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Something is totally off about this discussion. The counter should be level, and the cabinets should be level. By level I mean that a bubble level placed on the counter should be level, same for the cabinets. By definition, if the counter is level, and the cabinet is level, the cabinet must be the same height above the counter on both ends. Since the cabinet is a different height above the counter on different ends, either the counter is out of level, or the cabinet is out of level, or both are out of level. Check the counter with a bubble level, then check the cabinet, and see which one is off, and get the contractor to correct the problem.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #4

Yeah, did not think about counter not being level -- but pretty sure that counters are level. I'll use bubble measure on the counter but the GC already told me he could not hang the cabinet straight due to issue with sheer wall. So the issue is most likely the hanging cabinet. Or.. could be both cabinet and counters .. geesh.
sfsolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #5

Back off the crews and insert shims between the cabinet and the drywall.

No excuse for out-of-level cabinets except laziness on the part of the installer.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-04-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

I have no idea what the term "sheer wall" refers to. Sheer is a term normally associated with nylon stockings. Shear is a structural term referring to a wall which is primarily designed to carry shear load, such as granite panels on the side of an office building. In this context, the term "sheer wall" or perhaps "shear wall" is totally irrelevant. I agree with previous comment that all cabinets should be hung plumb and level, anything less is clearly careless or incompetent or both. I don't care how far out of plumb your wall is, shims and proper screw placement will hang any cabinet properly.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
DIY staff

Post a picture of this,please.

I'd like to see a situation where a cabinet can not be hung level---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #8

It is possible that the cabinet itself is not square or has somehow become "racked". Depends on the type of corner cabinet. The situation is rare but can happen. My best quess is the GC is covering up for the poor install.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsolar View Post
Yeah, did not think about counter not being level -- but pretty sure that counters are level. I'll use bubble measure on the counter but the GC already told me he could not hang the cabinet straight due to issue with sheer wall. So the issue is most likely the hanging cabinet. Or.. could be both cabinet and counters .. geesh.
If the counter is not level, the base cabinets were not shimmed level. Sounds like a poor install. Ditto on posting the pics. It shouldn't matter how off the walls are. That's what shims, filler strips, and scribe molding are made for. I would venture to say most of the kitchens I do, the walls are never perfectly plumb or straight. I usually spend a half hour prior to installing any cabinets checking floor and ceiling deviation using a laser level line to measure off of. I know where all my high and low spots are before I start.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Something is totally off about this discussion. The counter should be level, and the cabinets should be level. By level I mean that a bubble level placed on the counter should be level, same for the cabinets. By definition, if the counter is level, and the cabinet is level, the cabinet must be the same height above the counter on both ends. Since the cabinet is a different height above the counter on different ends, either the counter is out of level, or the cabinet is out of level, or both are out of level. Check the counter with a bubble level, then check the cabinet, and see which one is off, and get the contractor to correct the problem.
I agree completely. You were told mumbo jumbo (contractor excuses) to get out of correcting the issues.

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-12-2011)