DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

kitchen cabinets height from counter top

17K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 · (Edited)
my kitchen microwave c/w exaust fan sits 21inches above the stove, the two cabinets on either side of the stove only have a 16inches clearence height, is this with in building code if not can i apply for a varience, i dont want to cut my cabinets

#2 · (Edited)
I don't know if it is covered in the building code, but I use 36" to top of counter and 84" to top of uppers.
With 30" uppers, this should leave 18" (+/-) between counter and bottom of the uppers.
Bottom of Uppers at 54" off the floor.

Can you get your coffee maker in the space? It should be good.

Reactions: BigJim
#3 ·
Typically manufacturers do not specify a minimum height above the cooking surface below the microwave, instead the clearance is indirectly specified in the form of the required clearance (usually 30 inches) between the cooking surface and the lowest point on the underside of the cabinet above it:

#5 ·
There is no actual code I'm aware. Typically the measurement is anywhere from 14" to 18" above the counters and 30" above the cook top. Eighteen inches would be the typical norm.:)

Go ahead and apply for a variance, those guys at City Hall can use a good laugh.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.