Kitchen Cabinet Refacing/painting/changing - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2012, 02:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Kitchen cabinet refacing/painting/changing

Hi all, first post here. I've been reading through for the last few hours and couldn't find what I was looking for in answers, so I thought I'd ask.

First off, we bought our home new, about 8 years ago - and I think we have laminate cabinets, below is a picture. They appear to be 'wrapped' with the faux wood covering 'beach' wood cover. They are in great shape.

We'd like to change the cabinets to white. And we don't know the best way to go about this. The wife found a product called 'rustoleum kitchen transformations' but I'm deathly afraid of the 'painted' look and want to maintain a high resale value of our home as we're likely selling in 3-5 years. That said, if the product can do an amazing job with an amateur at the wheel then I'd be game for it.

Searching around the web I've found that I should be able to also resurface them with a new wrap. Which seems appealing, but I'm not sure how costly. The other option would be to obviously just get new doors - but I want to add that while the doors are the predominant thing needing re-colouring - we have an island that has the same finish on the sides (a fair amount of sq ft.'age) - and a few other small spots that would also need treated somehow.

I don't have a fixed budget yet - trying to determine what would be most feasible and then deciding what we're willing to spend; but we're definitely not talking big money here.

Thanks so much for reading !

Advertisement

aamiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Hey - you ever figure this out? I'm in the same exact boat with you. I have a friend who just spent 7500 to have them rewrapped... that seems insane to me. He doesn't know the different between a phillips and flat head screw driver do he's a bit of a sucker when it comes to this stuff. I would like to do this myself and save some money.

Advertisement

mikeyp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

when we redid our kitchen we had a limited budget. we priced cabinets and the price was 6800.00 for particle board, 8200.00 for all wood and 3300.00 for rta cabinets. the rta place had a 40% off sale so the cabinets ended up being less then 2200.00. if you want your cabinets white replace the doors and paint or reface the cabinets. if our old cabinets hadn't been particle board i would have refaced them, but why spend money on builder grade cabinets.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote