Kitchen Cabinet Knobs And Free Standing Island - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Kitchen Cabinet Knobs and Free Standing Island

I am remodeling my GA home. I've a good friend, an Interior Designer, who lives and works in NC. She tells me that current building code requires that when choosing knobs, for my kitchen and bathroom cabinets, I can no longer choose to use the round type of knobs. Instead, I must use door pulls that are more easily manageable for handicapped people. My home is not occupied by anyone with such special needs. While this may be a code requirement for commercial buildings, I've never heard of such a requirement for private residences. I definitely want to pass all inspections. This could be a req'mt in NC. But, does anyone know if this is true for private residences in GA?

The same person also told me that code requires all free standing kitchen islands (actually everything in the house) to have at least 2 pathways to get around, in the event of fire or some other emergency, and that there is a specific amount of space needed for such clearance.

Has anyone heard of these type of restrictions in the state of GA.?

Thanks,

Advertisement

Ttbsjdzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Probably true, if you are bulding for ADA compliance, but I am not familiar with that. I can find nothing in IRC to that affect. There are clearance minimums for island passages, but that is just common sense.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ask your friend for the specific code reference for these requirements for a residential house
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Your building and permits folks are the ones to provide the final answer.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

As far as walk space a good rule of thumb is at least 3 feet. You must consider being able to get replacement appliances and furniture ect. through the walk space. Another thing to consider is the ability to walk past appliances when doors are open. Oven doors, frige doors and dishwasher doors.
Never heard of a code concerning knobs in a private residence.
Nailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bldg codes , cabinets , door knobs , kitchens