Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #1

Share |

Kitchen Backsplash Help

We want to put in a stone tile backsplash so I removed the wainscoting that served as the backsplash when we bought the house. I then had to remove what looked like a whole gallon of construction adhesive from the walls. This is what I am left with.

I imagine this is why the wainscoting was put up in the first place. Now I'm not sure if I should attempt to remove the remaining material and get down to the plaster, or if I should just mud over what I have now? I don't want to chip at it and damage the plaster more. Would I be able to sand it down?

I'm sure someone else has dealt with this before. Any advice would be appreciated.

Charlie Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #2

Kitchen Backsplash Help

It's difficult to tell the thickness of the white layer (alternatively, the depth of the gray craters.) Personally I wouldn't want to remove it. I'd prefer to fill in the craters. This might even be accomplished by your thinset or mastic application just fine.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #3

Kitchen Backsplash Help

The white material is so thin in some places it is barely noticeable to the touch. In most places it is 1/16" - 1/8" thick and in one corner it's almost 1/4" thick. The deeper holes in the plaster wall are almost 1/4 inch deep.

I think I'm going to put a few thin coats of fastpatch 30 over the entire area to level it off, prime that with kilz or some paint/primer in one product, and then thinset and tile over that.

Do you think I should fill the deeper holes in before I level it off? Also, the white material is super smooth. Probably from scraping the construction adhesive off. Should that be roughed up at all before I start with the fastpatch?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #4

Kitchen Backsplash Help

the first thing you should do = check what is there is attached well enough to support what you plan to put on it. and then that it is at least flat with the rest of the wall.

the holes should be filled. i am not sure of all what would work. i think i would use sheetrock durabond.

i have used mastic for tile backsplash. it worked very well and was very easy to use.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #5

Kitchen Backsplash Help

The white material that is left on the plaster is stuck fast. I would have to chip it away or sand it down to remove what's left. I'm pretty sure it was on the wall before the last owner put on the wainscoting and that's why they used so much construction adhesive (it looked like they painted the entire wall with it). It survived whatever the previous owner ripped off, me ripping the wainscoting off and scraping the construction adhesive off. I think it's on there pretty good.

I do have some mastic on hand. Basically, I just need to fill in the holes, level the wall off, and see what I have when I'm done.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #6

Kitchen Backsplash Help

I appreciate the help so far.
Now I'm getting ready to start tiling the wall. The wall is pretty damn flat
considering where I started. It's not completely true/plum, but it's close enough I think. I don't believe I could get it any better without tearing the wall down. There are a few small holes/imperfections in my skim coat, but they are so minor the mastic will fill those in.

I've decided to start tiling in the center of the wall, which is under the window behind the sink, and work my way out to the corners.

My current question is; when I get to the corner what do I? I'm using 2"x2" slate tiles, about 1/4" thick, in 12"x12" inch squares on a mesh backing. I know I will have to trim about 3/4" off of the end tiles, but how should I cut and set the tiles so that the corner looks good..

Should I just tile the long wall to the corner and then butt the short side wall tiles up against the long wall tiles with an 1/8" spacer? Or the opposite way?

Should I try to bevel cut 45's into the mating ends of the two walls?

I know there is probably a correct way to do this, and I if do it the easy way, or I take a guess, it' will be wrong and most likely look like crap.
I have searched the boards and found a few threads that touch on this but nothing really covered it completely.
Thanks again in advance for advice, suggestions, or any links.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #7

Kitchen Backsplash Help

Tile the long wall first and then butt the short walls. I would suggest laying it out on the counter first to be sure you don't wind up with a sliver of a tile in the corner. If you do, move your starting point left/right the width of 1/2 a tile.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #8

Kitchen Backsplash Help

Thanks Dan.
I did lay it out and it looks like I'll have to cut 3/4" off of the last tile going into the corner. I have read somewhere else that I should "mirror" the cut on the adjoining wall. Is that something you suggest? Cutting 3/4" off the short wall tile that I'm butting against the long wall corner so that both adjoining tiles are same size?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #9

Kitchen Backsplash Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Mike View Post
Thanks Dan.
I did lay it out and it looks like I'll have to cut 3/4" off of the last tile going into the corner. I have read somewhere else that I should "mirror" the cut on the adjoining wall. Is that something you suggest? Cutting 3/4" off the short wall tile that I'm butting against the long wall corner so that both adjoining tiles are same size?
IMO, I prefer to have a full tile at the front edge of the backsplash. It could mean a sliver in the back. Depending upon how it lays out, you could fudge a little with the grout line spacing.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #10

Kitchen Backsplash Help

Ok, I get what you're saying and it makes sense. Thanks for the advice. I'll post some pics when I'm finished.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #11

Kitchen Backsplash Help

I agree with dj that you should focus on the back wall since that is the primary wall you'll be facing. I think cutting 3/4" of each end would be OK. This is assuming it's a pretty symmetrical layout. However if you'll be looking primarly at the left side and the right side is way out of view for example, you might want to put a full tile at the left side and leave a small cut tile on the right side.

For the sides, it's a little unlucky that you have that door trim there, because that rules out stopping on a full tile. To answer your question, no I don't think "mirroring" is a good idea. Normally what is done is to "continue" the tile. That is, if you cut 3/4" inch off a tile on the back wall (meaning the last tile is 1 1/4"), the you "wrap" that tile by starting with a 3/4" tile in the corner on the side wall. That way it looks like that tile is cut but just continues around the wall. Here is an example with some crazy tile, but you get the idea.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...202110383.html

On the right side, you might be able to finish on a full tile near the doorway. If that leaves a 1" gap, for example, then just paint that space. On the left that really wouldn't look too good, so you'll probably have to go up against the door trim and just accept whatever size tile you're left with.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote