Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Just trying to get a better understanding....

So, I know some people waterproof between cement board and wood studs with poly and others with red guard...my question to the poly users:

I understand that one should overlap a prefab aycrlic shower pan with poly. Then place sillicone around the flange of the prefab shower pan and press the poly into the sillicone to adhere the poly to the flange. Then hang your cement board.

Here's what I don't get...if you then tile the walls, at the bottom, youre suppose to sillicone between the tile and the shower pan flange so the water wont wick up...right? Doesn't this in essence trap the water that the poly is suppose to send down into the pan? Or (though I'd be suprised) are you not suppose to sillicone between the pan and bottom of tile when you use poly? Im just curious and would like to understand. I must be missing something.
Thanks.

SER56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

You can keep all these questions in one thread. Its a lot easier to keep track.

And like I already told you, No plastic. Waterproof the cement board and thats all you need. Otherwise, any moisture that gets thru wont dry because of the double barrier.

12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12penny View Post
You can keep all these questions in one thread. Its a lot easier to keep track.

And like I already told you, No plastic. Waterproof the cement board and thats all you need. Otherwise, any moisture that gets thru wont dry because of the double barrier.
Yea, I understand the double barrier issue. I had just done a lot of research prior to your answer. And I was just sitting here and that question just kind of popped in my head (wasnt even thinking about the upcoming project this weekend). I was just curious how the other system worked, just to have the understanding. Not looking for another solution. Again, thanks for the info.
SER56 is offline   Reply With Quote