Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #1

Share |

Island Hood installation - ceiling beams in the way

Question on what others have done about this. I have an island in the center of the kitchen with a gas stove. I purchased a vented hood w/lights to place directly over the stove. Trouble is, a support beam for the second floor runs above the exact center of the stove. (Bedroom above the kitchen).

Since I cannot move the island/stove and gas/power lines - what method would be best to run the vented duct out through the kitchen ceiling with the beam effectively in the way of the 6inch duct that comes out of the top of the hood?

I can think of two ways to do this so far. (1) Drop the ceiling a bit in that small spot - effectively creating a 4-5inch dropdown made from sheetrock that matches the same dimensions as the vented hood, or (2) Notch the beam in the ceiling - putting reinforcement along with top of the beam where the upstairs floor rests on it. I could probably notch about half the depth of the beam (its a 2x6) to create a circular opening large enough for the duct to pass through.

Any thoughts on the best ways to do this?

thanks

Forrest

fackert61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
DIY staff

Island Hood installation - ceiling beams in the way

You might want to take that hood and a good drawing to a sheet metal fabricator--( there are plenty of those around)--andhave an offset duct built--then box around it with drywall or something decorative--

Tags
vented hood obstruction