Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ironstone Countertops

I asked a question in "Remodeling" if anyone has ever used, seen or had any experience with "Ironstone" countertops. I was kind of looking for an independant review before I actually spent real money on it. I haven't gotten an answer, which makes me think maybe it's not really a quality material even though they have a nice looking website.
The website is ironstonecountertops.com. Any countertop experts out there that may be able to check this out? Maybe you'll see some obvious problem with it that I've missed.
Thanks

Rebelyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #2

Ironstone Countertops

Well....I think I'm gonna give this stuff a shot. The price is certainly right. Give me a few weeks and I'll let you guys know how it worked out.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:59 PM   #3

Ironstone Countertops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
Well....I think I'm gonna give this stuff a shot. The price is certainly right. Give me a few weeks and I'll let you guys know how it worked out.
Hi Rebelyell,
Did you order the Ironstone? I am also looking at them and wondering because we were also considering granite. The price is right as you state but want to be sure they hold up. Also have questions about their shipping costs.

TYI
nana23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:09 PM   #4

Ironstone Countertops

Actually mine arrived today. I got the counter tops, back splash kit and the black "ogee" edging. They were shipped with DHL and arrived undamaged. ( I think they are running some kind of free shipping on the web site at the moment) They were placed on my car port while I was at work, no one had to sign.
I haven't started the installation yet but if you look at their web site you'll see the installation instructions. They are pavers so there will be a seam every 13 1/2 inches. The seams are sealed with a "siliconized acrylic latex" caulk, colored to match the counter. (provided) I'm not sure how hard it sets up but will let you know when I get to that part.
I can't testify as to durability or ease of installation at this point but I can say that the material looks good. I got the black and it has a slate look. The ogee edging is actually real slate and it matches very well with the tops and back splash. The surface is very smooth and seems to be very hard. It is not glossy. The surface, although polished smooth is dull. I wiped off a piece with a wet cloth and it looked fantastic when it was wet and very glossy but of course that faded. I'm going to experiment with a scrap piece after I cut for the sink and see if I can maybe wax it or apply some type of finish to get a high gloss look.
Basically at this point I'm very satisfied with the product. Even with the dull finish (dull but very smooth and "silky" to the touch) it is very attractive and will make a nice looking counter top. And, quite frankly, you just can't beat the price.
I'll make another post as I go through the installation process and find out how well it stands up.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #5

Ironstone Countertops

Quote:
Actually mine arrived today. I got the counter tops, back splash kit and the black "ogee" edging. They were shipped with DHL and arrived undamaged. ( I think they are running some kind of free shipping on the web site at the moment) They were placed on my car port while I was at work, no one had to sign.
I haven't started the installation yet but if you look at their web site you'll see the installation instructions. They are pavers so there will be a seam every 13 1/2 inches. The seams are sealed with a "siliconized acrylic latex" caulk, colored to match the counter. (provided) I'm not sure how hard it sets up but will let you know when I get to that part.
I can't testify as to durability or ease of installation at this point but I can say that the material looks good. I got the black and it has a slate look. The ogee edging is actually real slate and it matches very well with the tops and back splash. The surface is very smooth and seems to be very hard. It is not glossy. The surface, although polished smooth is dull. I wiped off a piece with a wet cloth and it looked fantastic when it was wet and very glossy but of course that faded. I'm going to experiment with a scrap piece after I cut for the sink and see if I can maybe wax it or apply some type of finish to get a high gloss look.
Basically at this point I'm very satisfied with the product. Even with the dull finish (dull but very smooth and "silky" to the touch) it is very attractive and will make a nice looking counter top. And, quite frankly, you just can't beat the price.
I'll make another post as I go through the installation process and find out how well it stands up.

Rebelyell,
Thank you so much for this information. I am looking at both the travertine and the tuscany. I might order a sample to make sure but I hate to wait! I am so impatient!! How long did your order take to arrive? I notice the sites states 4 weeks unless you upgrade the shipping. For an addt'l $99 they would arrive in 2 weeks. I'm not so sure about that as it seems sort of a rip off to me. I guess it depends on just how quickly you need it? We received our new cabinets yesterday. We are in full blown kitchen remodel mode now.

It all started with an upgraded washer/dryer. We then decided at that time to enlarge the pantry to include the w/d which we stacked. Then we decided to paint the walls and trim in the kitchen. My kitchen is 500 sq. ft. Well, once that was done, we had to upgrade everything else as it was hideous looking to me! I have a Victorian house built in 1883 and the kitchen was originally detached from the home. It hasn't been updated since at least the early 70's maybe late 60's. Any who I purchased the ceramic tile years ago and will now finally have hubby put that down.

What an expense but the payout will be worth it. I have been in this house for 11 years and I'm finally getting my dream kitchen!!

Thanks again for the info and I can't wait to hear what you have to say regarding installation, etc. It looks pretty straight forward from the website instructions but want your feedback. I'll keep checking in to see what progress you have made. Can you post pics as you go along? I'd love to see it and I'm sure others will as well!!
Old 12-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #6

Ironstone Countertops

I don't mind posting pics but it may take a while. I'm doing all the work myself, including building the cabinets. I work a very demanding job so there are days when I don't touch it and of course when I do work on it I take my time to make sure it's right. Fortunately for us we have a working kitchen. It was very very (very) small so we decided to build a kitchen in the next room and turn the existing kitchen into a laundry room when we are done. But I will keep you updated. As far as deliver times, it took the full 4 weeks they had advertised. I just ordered it before I was ready to do that part.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #7

Ironstone Countertops

Thanks Rebel and I totally understand about job commitments and no time for your own DIY projects. You will get it done at your own pace and as you say, it will be done perfectly!! Good luck and looking forward to updates!!
Old 02-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #8

Ironstone Countertops

Any update Rebelyell, or nana23? Or has anyone else tried this ironstone product yet for their counters?
RockDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:46 AM   #9

Ironstone Countertops

Yes. I'm sorry I haven't updated sooner. Even though I'm still not finished. (That's the problem with building another kitchen. Since we have a working kitchen there's not a great deal of pressure to rush.) I have built the bottom cabinets and installed most of the counter tops. The most notable thing I found was how extremely hard the Ironstone counter tops are. If you are cutting a piece of back splash you can score it and it will break evenly. Lacking "professional tools I scored it with a dremel tool and a ceramic grinding wheel. This works with a score across 4 inches but will not on anything much longer. I don't have a wet saw but tried a Rotozip bit for ceramics and found it very slow work. I have had success with a Dremel tool using a Dremel 545 Diamond Wheel. I guess what I'm saying is if you plan to do it yourself there may be a small learning curve and some small amount of frustration. It is extremely hard stuff to cut but I have no fears it will be scratched, stained or damaged in any other way through normal use.
I think the counters look nice. Particularly for the price. I will try to post some pictures soon. Will have to get my wife to help me with that part.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #10

Ironstone Countertops

I, too am very interested in your progress...can't wait to see the pics. Anyone else out there doing this???
chipuric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #11

Ironstone Countertops

Quote:
I asked a question in "Remodeling" if anyone has ever used, seen or had any experience with "Ironstone" countertops. I was kind of looking for an independant review before I actually spent real money on it. I haven't gotten an answer, which makes me think maybe it's not really a quality material even though they have a nice looking website.
The website is ironstonecountertops.com. Any countertop experts out there that may be able to check this out? Maybe you'll see some obvious problem with it that I've missed.
Thanks
I have the ironstone counters and LOVE them. No stains, non-porous, cool (for pastries and baking), can put hot anything on them with no damage. I would use your own edging but the countertops are a no-brainer!
cjsynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #12

Ironstone Countertops

cjsynergy: quote--

"I have the ironstone counters and LOVE them. No stains, non-porous, cool (for pastries and baking), can put hot anything on them with no damage. I would use your own edging but the countertops are a no-brainer!"

Do you have any pics of the ironstone counters. would really appreciate any info about the installation, problems, etc. We're looking to install some this summer but can't find any "real life" experiences with them on the web. thanks.
bush443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #13

Ironstone Countertops

Here are some before and after pics that I sent out on Smilebox. No problems with install or cutting (just like cutting tiles). This is the "fawn" color and it turned out gorgeous. We had laminate before!

Any other questions, feel free to email me at cjsynergy@gmail.com Please put Ironstone Countertops in the subject and I will respond.

- C.J.
Attached Thumbnails
Ironstone Countertops-sb_16234425.jpg   Ironstone Countertops-sb_16234429.jpg   Ironstone Countertops-sb_16234430.jpg   Ironstone Countertops-sb_16234431.jpg   Ironstone Countertops-sb_16234434.jpg  

Ironstone Countertops-sb_16234424.jpg  

Last edited by cjsynergy; 03-29-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Wrong Pictures
Old 03-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #14

Ironstone Countertops

Please send me an alternative email and I will send you the pics. Having a hard time posting them here.

Thanks!

- C.J.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:27 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

Ironstone Countertops

CJ love the floor in these images.

LINK REMOVED

Last edited by Termite; 08-25-2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: site rules violation
Dana11 is offline   Reply With Quote