Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
RDS

Share |

Insulating 2x8 ceiling over bathroom

Hi all --

What would you typically use to insulate 2x8 ceiling joist bays? (This is over a bathroom that's under an attic. The attic has a floor, so 7.5" of insulation depth is my limit.)

The inspector's coming next week to inspect the framing, and I'm sure he'll tell me the minimum that's required, but I'd like to get as much up there as possible.

I've only worked with fiberglass in the past but am open to other suggestions. Seems like my local home center only sells R13 at 3.5", R19 at 6.25", and R30 at 10" -- all either too thin or too thick to snugly fill the space I have. I suppose I could double up layers of R13 but then I assume I'd have to strip the kraft facing off one of them (the home center doesn't sell unfaced R13) -- right? I'm hoping for a solution that's less of a pain. Is there such a thing as, like, R26 at 7.5"? And if so, where would I get it if not at my local home center? Are there insulation specialty stores?

Anyway just casting about for suggestions and thinking ahead to what comes next after the first round of inspections on this total gut-job remodel. Appreciate suggestions.
RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
RDS

Insulating 2x8 ceiling over bathroom

OK, answering my own question upon further research... Owens Corning apparently makes R25 that's 8" deep, and a local building supply place carries it. So I'm guessing that would the typical product to use for this application (or another brand) -- is that right?

Is fiberglass the best option for this kind of thing, or do people like different materials? I don't really mind working with it, kinda itchy though... Are there other materials that give you more R value for the same thickness, that are DIY-friendly and readily available to the average schmo? Basically I want as much R value as I can get but I'm also looking for something I can do myself with products I can get my hands on relatively easily.
RDS is offline   Reply With Quote