Installing A Tub, Need Advice On 1in Gap Between End Of The Tub And Studs. - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Installing a tub, need advice on 1in gap between end of the tub and studs.

I am doing a bathroom remodel and installed a new tub. The tub is flush with the back wall and nearly flush with the end wall with the tub spout but the other end is just over an inch from the studs. I am installing 1/2 in backer board then tile but with the existing gap there is no way the tile will be able to overlap the tub flange like it is supposed to. I was told to build that wall out but then it will stick out that much more than the rest of the wall where it meets the sheet rock. If i split the difference the gap is too large on both ends. WHAT DO I DO??!! This is the first diy project for me so all the help i can get on this would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a tub, need advice on 1in gap between end of the tub and studs.-br1.jpg   Installing a tub, need advice on 1in gap between end of the tub and studs.-br2.jpg   Installing a tub, need advice on 1in gap between end of the tub and studs.-br3.jpg  

Advertisement

mrmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 518

You will need to add wood furring strips to the wall. Just cut some 2x4's lengthwise to 1", and then cut them to length. Glue and screw the strips to the existing studs. Run them down lower than the tub flange so that the tub flange can be screwed through the new wood.

Advertisement

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I already cut the drywall out to the ceiling on that particular wall. Should i have done that? Do i run the furring strips to the ceiling? And also my concern with extending the wall was the transition from the backer board/tile to the existing sheet rock on the wall.
mrmason is offline   Reply With Quote