Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2011, 01:51 AM   #1

Share |
Red face

Installing shower panel over window

Want to install shower wall panels over window without removing the window.
How do you prevent moisture condensation on the window behind the instillation?

jrmy202 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrmy202 For This Useful Post:
Jfarman (03-29-2014)
Old 12-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #2

And why are you not doing it right and taking the time to remove the whole window? The easy way is almost never the best way.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #3

I had asked a contractor to do a remodel job when I had the money and that's what he was going to do. Well,, I thought I can do bad all by myself. and save that money. I guess I should thank him because the roof sprang several leaks doing a storm and had to replace the roof. Now the money is not enough to git-er-done right, so, I'm back to I can do bad all by myself.
Plus there is no way I could match the old vinyl siding on the house to cover the window.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #4

If you have an exact match on the brand and color of siding it will faid out shortly and match.
Your only talking about $100. total or less for materials and DIY 101 to remove the window, reframe, add OSB, insulate and and some tar paper, and a few pieces of siding.
It would look far better inside and out.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

The way that I did it, I used 2 layers foil faced foam board, with the second having the foil removed where it was behind the first. From outside with the glass having the frosted plastic on it, it just looks like a window. From there, due to we used a five piece, we put green board across the whole wall, after insulating the wall. You do have to use furring strips. I used 1x4 for the furring. No moisture what so ever on that window in the past two years, since we have done it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #6

Thanks guys very helpful. I was thinking much the same Greg, but I was just going to apply etching to the glass panes to hide the back-fill of insulation. So, you used plastic frosted block on the exterior?
Old 12-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

It goes on the interior. Place it on the exterior, and it will peel off in no time.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #8

Oh, Okay, I've not familiar with that product. I will look in to it.
Thanks again.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

You can find it in the section at your local Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace hardware, where the window coverings are. At our local Menard's, you find it where the paint and blinds are.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #10

Hope you had a Merry Christmas and a greater New Year