Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Installing New Bathtub?

I am wanting to install a new tub, but not a base like you would buy at lowes or home depot. I am wanting to build something that I can frame in and tile. Basically tile on the surrounds and on the floor. Does anyone know of any websites, or can give me any direction on how to possibly do this? I'm not saying that I am definetly going to do this, but think it would be interesting. I know it will have to slope back to front for drainage. I am thinking frame it on the part you get in, concrete board, and tile it all. Any thoughts?

ws450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,340

Installing New Bathtub?

Here is your web information--Good luck--Shower Construction Info (a collection of posts) - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Installing New Bathtub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws450r View Post
I am wanting to install a new tub,... I am wanting to build something that I can frame in and tile.
Do I understand you want to frame in and build a bathtub?

I've seen pictures of custom tubs like this and they are cool.

Two important things to consider. First, just framing out a box shape (even with a slope) is not enough. There is an immense amount of weight and pressure in a tub full of water. Weight on the bottom, pressure on the sides, pushing at any and all joints and corners... Then add in the weight of an adult.....

Second. It has to be 100% absolutely, positively waterproof. Tile and grout is not waterproof, and one teeny tiny little pinhole anywhere in your project will cause you a whole lotta water damage in a very short time.

I'm no expert but my understanding is they are not a DIY project unless you really know what you're doing.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Installing New Bathtub?

I would suggest that no one confuse the above shower information offered by oh'mike with building your own bath tub in the same manner. Showers and bath tubs are two entirely different creatures.

It is easy enough to construct a waterproof shower facility, but quite a different thing to build a tub.

Showers shed water, tubs hold water. The stresses on a shower facility are nill. The stresses on the components of a home made tub will be enormous and building such a facility from boards and nails could present issues you never thought of. Even a simple thing like the drain presents special issues with a tub.

Waterproof tile-able tub cores are available, I would suggest you take that course of action. If my memory serves these are of Japanese origin. Keep searching the web you'll find them, I remember participating in several such conversations in years past.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Installing New Bathtub?

I'm not sure what I am going to do yet. It is the only bathroom in the house. I really want to just put in a walk-in shower, and forget the tub, but heard that could hurt resale. The house is in a college town, so I could always rent it out. Some people just tell me, fix it how I want it. Or I could put in the shower, and do a $750 credit when selling for a bathtub reno. Any ideas on what to do? The custom frame is probably not going to happen. But, if I do put a tub in, it will probably be just a base, and then tile for the surround.
ws450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Installing New Bathtub?

Random thoughts:

The general rule of thumb is you need a tub for resale. If you sell to a family with children, they will want a tub. Some adults want a tub. There are exceptions to this rule though. If you have a small, one or two bedroom house or condo, and you're in a college town where a good chunk of your buying pool will be singles or couples rather than families with children it may not be as essential. Take a look at your neighborhood. How many kids are in your area? Mainly adults? You may be OK with just a shower. A local realtor can tell you how bad it could hurt you.
You gotta find a balance between what you want versus worrying about tomorrow.

My sister and B-I-L pulled their tub out and replaced it with a walk in unit that fit in the same footprint. It uses the same drain and basically looks like a tub missing the front. This might be a possible compromise. I assume it would be less complicated to install and would also make it easier to switch back to a full tub if necessary. There are companies that will do this for you.

Not trying to talk you out of it, but consider tiling is a lot more time consuming than a prefab shower enclosure, with or without a tub. It is much more labor intensive and wait periods between tiling/grouting and grouting/sealing can add to the inconvenience when you are having to shower elsewhere.

Lastly, I recommend reading Bud's blog on the subject before you get started tiling.
http://www.diychatroom.com/blogs/con...wer-walls-152/

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote