Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

installing granite counter

I am redoing my bathroom and it seems like everyday something else gets added! I'm thinking about using my base cabinet and getting a granite counter top to go over it. The cabinet is only about 24" by 30". What would I need to do to put granite on it? Do I need to add some support or is the base cabinet enough for this small granite? Also do I just silicone the top down?

I haven't called any granite places yet about this but can they make the top and I install it? Also how do you scribe it to the walls or would I just caulk? Sorry for so many questions but just want to learn a little before I call the granite place. Thanks

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
I am redoing my bathroom and it seems like everyday something else gets added! I'm thinking about using my base cabinet and getting a granite counter top to go over it. The cabinet is only about 24" by 30". What would I need to do to put granite on it? Do I need to add some support or is the base cabinet enough for this small granite? Also do I just silicone the top down?

I haven't called any granite places yet about this but can they make the top and I install it? Also how do you scribe it to the walls or would I just caulk? Sorry for so many questions but just want to learn a little before I call the granite place. Thanks
While granite is heavy, a piece that size will not need any additional support.

Yes, you just use silicone to attach the top to the cabinet.

Yes, you can go to a local stone supplier and have them cut a square piece of granite (24" x 30") and the appropriate back splash. If the vanity is tucked into a corner, you'd get 2 splashes. I cannot imagine your wall will be that out of square. You can check by using a framing square to see. Normally, I just have them cut the top and I install. Silicone the top to the cabinet, silicone the splashes to the wall.

I actually do exactly what you're suggesting all the time. As a matter of fact, I'm installing a granite vanity top tomorrow for a customer. My 22" x 22" top cost me under $300, including the undermount sink. Look for remnants at the stone supplier. They are extra pieces they have laying around.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 AM   #3

Thanks angus. It is in the corner so I should be fine.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote