Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

installing built in dishwasher as stand alone

i have a new dishwasher (built in style) that i need to install in a back pantry where my opening horizontally is 42" max. the dw is 24" that leaves me the possibility of adding an 18" cabinet max. i have hot/cold water hook ups w/ waste line and 120v gfci receptacle in the corner that is existing.
what i really need to know is what my best options are to make this function as useable counter space as well. with or without cabinets although the more storage space the better.

dumbcluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:52 AM   #2

You might be able to find a slim premade cabinet at a home center you can put on the side. If you do, then you can put a cleat on the opposite wall and run a piece of plywood across the top over the cabinet and dishwasher. Add a facing strip across the front and laminate and you should have what you are looking for.

bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #3

Assuming your 42" space is wall to wall, just put cleats around the wall to support the counter top.

If you don't have a wall on one side, just built a small structure to support it. Use a 3/4" piece of plywood or particle board, much like an end panel next to the dishwasher.
Jeeper1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #4

thanks. so, the end panel dosent actually connect to the dishwasher itself? it just serves as a support for the countertop, correct?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #5

gotcha, thanks. basically just an L bracket on the wall side? i was kinda hoping to put a small sink in the corner and have the dishwasher on the opposite side next to the door. i guess that is pushing it spacewise anyway, huh?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #6

You may need to attach a 1x across the front of the span as some dishwashers have brackets on top that are screwed to the counter. They don't really support anything, just keep the thing from moving. You would not attach the dishwasher to the side panel.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbcluck View Post
gotcha, thanks. basically just an L bracket on the wall side? i was kinda hoping to put a small sink in the corner and have the dishwasher on the opposite side next to the door. i guess that is pushing it spacewise anyway, huh?
The cleat would be a piece of 1x mounted horizonally and screwed into the studs. If you could find a sink that small, it seems as if it would work OK.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #8

cleat measured from floor to counter top? or dosent matter because it is attached to studs?
the sink would have to be in the corner, which would take us back to fabricating an end piece, correct?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #9

The cleats should be attached to the adjoining walls.