Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2011, 07:06 AM   #1

Share |

Installing bathtub on top of tile

We are installing a bathtub with an apron and I would like to tile the floor under the tub.
The old tub sat on the 1/2" subfloor then the floor and underlayment were added.
I would like to fill in the missing 3/4" plywood add the underlayment then tile the entire floor then install the tub. I wouldn't necessarily need to tile all the way under the tub just get it a few inches past the apron.
I don't see any problem with this as long as the supports under the tub are not sitting on part of a tile. Also he hardibacker will mortared to the floor and screwed and every 6 inches.
Does this sound ok?

tvanharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
DIY staff

Bad plan usually--Most floors are not level--so one end of the tub is up a bit off the floor--

The backer and tile will hide that---the thinset used to set the backer acts as a grout to support the tub lip.

Is there a good reason you want to install the tub in this way?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #3

I would like more support under the tub, don't want to cut the tile to match the apron curves, and would like to prevent water from penetrating once the caulk starts to crack.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Tileguy

This is an acrylic tub ????

Typically those things are notorious for coming to you tweaked in some fashion. They are never perfect. I personally think they should be installed over a suitable subfloor so that they can be adjusted as needed.

In most of the cases I'm familiar with the "apron" is somewhat adjustable so that one can install tile and its related backer so as to cross over the line of the bottom of the apron but not go completely under the entire tub. This way: No one knows (or cares) that the tile isn't under the tub.

Tile being under the tub WILL NOT offer any additional support under the tub, it will only add weight to the structure.

Once the caulk does crack (if it does) this is a maintenance issue, which it is anyway.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #5

Whether you put the tub on the tile or next to the tile, you'll still need to caulk the interface. Use a good quality silicone caulk and it will be a long, long time before you need to do it again.
The curved part can be tricky, but using a grinder as a shaper, you can get very good results. Just takes a little practice.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions, I do plan on running the tile under the tub. We picked up the tub this weekend and it looks that will work good, I'll just need to be sure to keep the tile level under the apron and carefully shim where the 5 tub feet are located.
I'll post back with the results.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
DIY staff

Steel or aluminum roofing tins make good shims---sold in packs of 10---Mike---Good luck and have fun
Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Steel or aluminum roofing tins make good shims---sold in packs of 10---Mike---Good luck and have fun
They also now sell composite shims.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote