Installing Bathtub - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Installing bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
The flange is however intended to be behind the wallboard so as to trap the tub in place. In the case of installing ceramic tile...another acceptable way to install the wallboard is to stop the bottom edge of the wallboard against the top edge of the tiling flange and then silicone that juncture. Tile then overlaps the small void at the tiling flange and can be filled with thinset when installing the tile. This juncture does not get grouted, it should have caulk.
I don't get it. I thought you were supposed to keep the cb 1/4 in above the tub flange. Then let the tile hang down a 1/4 in or so, then caulk with silicone. My tub looks like the above, but is 40 yrs old, maybe cast iron?
I'm trying to do this right, but it can be confusing.

Advertisement

Tudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

Installing bathtub

Tudy--Please start a new post on installing your tub,I looked through some of your old posts --I can see that you are confused on a few points.

We will walk you through it--start a post,put up a picture if you can --lots of plumbers and other experienced folks here.---Mike--

Advertisement

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
DIY staff

Installing bathtub

Tudy--Relax , I should let JimF walk you through this--First thing to do when preparing an old tub for a new tile job ---make sure that the walls are FLAT. Take a straight edge and see if any of the old 2x4s
have gotten out of line.
If so---add a few new 2x4s until the walls are flat and tight to the tub.

If your mixer valve is old change that now--drain set,too.

Next is the backer board--this should be placed on the 2x4s and touch the top of the tub flange.

If you choose to water proof the walls before tiling--use HydroBan by Latacrete or another liquid membrane.(filling of any voids is done with thinset and mesh)

If you are not applying a membrane--the gap between the tub and Backer board is filled with thinset as you tile.
Corners and seams are meshed as you are tiling----

After grouting use %100 silicone caulk at the tub and in the corners.(some grouts have color match caulk--those are nice if available.--Mike--

Last edited by oh'mike; 07-21-2010 at 12:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
Tudy (07-21-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #4

Question

Installing bathtub

Thanx!

I will be putting on the handibacker panels so they touch the tub flange (as oh'mike advised). No 1/8 - 1/4 inch spacing needed.
What is the best method of cutting the cbu, for ends and plumbing holes. I heard that the cbu eats up blades and bits.
Thanx!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
DIY staff

Installing bathtub

There is a special carbide tipped knife for scoring a groove--then snap it---holes can be cut with a hole saw--or jig saw. Some use an angle grinder--dusty mess---others use a diamond saw and a wet sponge---no dust.--Mike--
Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 PM   #6

Installing bathtub

i had some cheap circle bits. i burnt the first one up in about 1 min.
but then i just took it slow and eazy on the second bit. and it lasted great. so if you dont have alot to do, just get something cheap
fishtale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #7

Installing bathtub

Would Mapei Keraset unmodified be ok for thinset for ceramic bathbay. I thought it was, but read on back of bag, only for intermitant moisture. No mention of wet area applications. If it is to be used on Handibacker, it needs modification (Keraply) True?
Old 10-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
DIY staff

Installing bathtub

Use a modified thinset---I like Custom Building Products from the Depot--Versabond--white-(easier to clean out the squeeze up than the gray)--Mike--

Last edited by oh'mike; 10-19-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Tudy (10-18-2010)
Old 10-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

Installing bathtub

Quote:
Use a modified thinset---I like Customblend from the Depot...
Actually.........Custom Blend IS NOT a modified thinset product. It can be modified by mixing it with the proper recommended additives however.

Versabond would be a better choice.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #10

Installing bathtub

Where do they sell Versabond?
Thank you, Bud!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

Installing bathtub

Home Depot carries Versabond. I think in all of their stores but couldn't swear to that.

You should know that Versabond is considered an entry-level modified thinset. It will work for you but there are better (more costly) thinsets available.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
DIY staff

Installing bathtub

Trudy,Sorry for the confusion---I thought that was the name of the company--It's Custom Building products--not custom blend--I just got the manufacturers name mixed up--

Advertisement

Tudy (10-19-2010)