Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #1

Share |

install overmount tub in alcove

Greeetings,

I'm going to install a soaking tub in an existing alcove. The tub will just fit now (60" by 32") if it is installed NOT as an overmount but as in Figure 2 of the attached picture. I can increase the size of the alcove a bit so that the tub can be installed as an overmount (i.e., drop-in) as shown in Figure 1. But if I do that, I will form a "channel" along three sides of the tub in which water will collect. My wife wants the overmount look, and suggests that installing a handshower instead of a high showerhead will mean that this channel will stay dry. I'm not so sure. The last possibility is to install as a tub only, so very little water could find its way into the channel.

As for me, I hate to design something with a place for water to collect, even if there is no shower at all. I'd rather go for the Figure 2 install on three sides and then the overmount style on just the front of the tub. That way, there are no worries about standing water and we can have a handshower or even a high showerhead if we want.

I guess my question really concerns my stubborn position that we not design in a channel in which water can collect. If it is a tub only, would such channel be OK?

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
install overmount tub in alcove-tub-install.jpg  

tom31415926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
DIY staff

Picture one is a failure waiting to happen. I'm not crazy about option two either--fiberglass tubs flex a lot--will the bead of caulk under the tile hold up over time?

Can you find a tub with a tiling flange in a size and style that you like?

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #3

Thanks oh'mike. Here is a manufacturer's installation figure; does it look any better? We tried hard to find a flanged soaking tub like this one. This is a Porcher Tetsu soaking tub, which has really great specs in terms of depth to overflow and gallons to overflow.

I heard that setting the tub on a mortar bed will help decrease flexing.

I must admit that I'm not in love with "sealant" because it will mildew where it transitions to grout.

Tom
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
DIY staff

With that illustration the tub is touching the studs. The 'tile bead strip' must be the mating surface that would be caulked to the tub deck and again to the tile backer.

I think that system will work.--Good ides to use a paint on waterproofing in that area as well--

Yes to setting the tub into some mortar --do check the manufacturers recommendations. --Mike--

There is another post about tile or fiberglass shower---the waterproofing is discussed there.Tile or fiberglass shower?

Last edited by oh'mike; 07-25-2010 at 06:02 PM.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
tom31415926 (07-27-2010)
Old 07-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Tileguy

Setting the tub in mortar is to mitigate flexing of the base under a users weight. It won't have any effect on the flexing of the sides when water and people are added.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #6

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

I see what ohmike says about the tub edge contacting the wall. I'll be sure to have continuous contact along that edge; should help mitigate flexing a lot.

I may post future questions in this thread. I will post when the install is done.

Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom31415926 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-28-2010)