Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

I'm adding a bathroom in my basement

I was at the a big box hardware store and the guy working in plumbing said something about my project that I thought was stupid. But this is a really big project for me and I'll be pouring a new concrete floor to replace the one I ripped out to get at the sewer pipe. What I think is stupid may turn and bite me in the butt.

I told him my plans. I even had a little drawing. Basically it showed my sewer line and how I was going to put fittings in for a toilet, sink, shower and vent. He looked at my drawing and saw my vent was right behind the toilet, sink and shower fittings. He said I needed to move the vent to in front of the toilet. WHAT? That would put a vent pipe rising up between your legs while you're sitting on the toilet. Also the fumes from the sewer will reach the toilet first. They'll have to go past the toilet to reach the vent.

He said the way I was doing it put the vent to close to the toilet. I didn't say anything. He didn't appear to be an idiot, but I think his plumbing advice wasn't worth spit. If I followed it and poured a new concrete floor, I'm pretty sure my house would smell like a sewer in the end. But I could be wrong. I've never done a project like this, so if anyone has any advice I'll be grateful. Thanks

rickyd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyd123
I was at the a big box hardware store and the guy working in plumbing said something about my project that I thought was stupid. But this is a really big project for me and I'll be pouring a new concrete floor to replace the one I ripped out to get at the sewer pipe. What I think is stupid may turn and bite me in the butt.
I told him my plans. I even had a little drawing. Basically it showed my sewer line and how I was going to put fittings in for a toilet, sink, shower and vent. He looked at my drawing and saw my vent was right behind the toilet, sink and shower fittings. He said I needed to move the vent to in front of the toilet. WHAT? That would put a vent pipe rising up between your legs while you're sitting on the toilet. Also the fumes from the sewer will reach the toilet first. They'll have to go past the toilet to reach the vent.
He said the way I was doing it put the vent to close to the toilet. I didn't say anything. He didn't appear to be an idiot, but I think his plumbing advice wasn't worth spit. If I followed it and poured a new concrete floor, I'm pretty sure my house would smell like a sewer in the end. But I could be wrong. I've never done a project like this, so if anyone has any advice I'll be grateful. Thanks
Hire a plumber. You obviously have no idea what you are doing. Besides you need permits and inspections anyway. So no reason to worry about it being done wrong and smelling sewer gas.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

If you have questions,post your drawings or rough in work here.

Plenty of real life experience here---Mike---
Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyd123 View Post
the guy working in plumbing said something
(Never rely on any advice from staff in the DIY sheds; they're usually just shelf-stackers and the most they can be expected to do is direct you to the wrong aisle).
I don't know what your local building code will stipulate, but I doubt it will allow a bathroom vent coming up between your legs. As the previous poster advised, this might be more than a DIY job.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyd123 View Post

You are right. If you do it,your bathroom will be funny. I think you was right what was you decide. After that what will be you do?
niyaschanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #6

Go for it, you are fine. Use a V splitter and run the vent up using the V part.

rebelranger is offline   Reply With Quote