I Need To Buy Grout And Tile Spacers. What Is The Most Common Space Between 6x6 Tiles - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

I need to buy grout and tile spacers. What is the most common space between 6x6 tiles

I am remodeling my bathroom. I am getting ready to start tiling the floor and tub and shower surrounding walls. I will use 6x6 porcelain tiles on the floor and 6x6 ceramic tiles on walls.
I need to buy sanded or non-sanded grout and tile spacers.

What is the most common space between 6x6 tiles?

Thanks.

Advertisement

sukhenkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

I need to buy grout and tile spacers. What is the most common space between 6x6 tiles

Spacing is a matter of personal taste and the design of the tile---

A very square cut tile like granite usually looks best with a small space--1/16" is common

The more common rounded edge tiles often look best with 1/8 or even 3/16"--

I suggest that you lay out several tiles--space them so they look good to you---then measure the gap and see what you have----

As to grout----unsanded for 1/8" or smaller----sanded for any thing wider---Read the package.

-----Mike-----

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #3

Thanks Mike.

I did few home tiling projects before. I used different spaces, smaller and bigger. I found that in bigger spaces grout does not look very even. I always follow grouting instructions but I still can’t do it perfect. It looks fine from the distance, but if you check it from 1 ft or closer you will see that it looks uneven.
This is why this time I decided to go with smaller space. I got 1/8” spacers. I wanted to buy a non-sanded grout, but HD guy recommended me using sanded grout for 1/8” spaces because it does not shrink.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

Not a bad plan----Let's see what Jazz or Bud have to say----Spacers? Check out the round ones from Lowes---They are much easier to use and remove than crosses.----Mike----
Old 04-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,582

The information you have so far is all good. Go for it!

I will add that; how close you can space the tiles will also depend on the quality of the tiles...meaning if they aren't cut perfectly square they won't be easy to put close together and maintain straight grout lines.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #6

I went to Lowes web site and checked reviews about round spacers. Everybody who tried them was very happy. So, I went to Lowes and got 1/8" round spacers.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,582

Don't depend on spacers to keep your installation in a straight line form. They won't do that if the tiles aren't square.

In fact, spacers can get you into trouble if you don't watch what you are doing.

Advertisement