Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #1

Share |

Huge hole behind sink how to cover?

I was just trying to switch out a large vanity and was surprised by this. Should I try to patch and cover all of this? What is the best way to go about this is there any possible reason this was left open?
Attached Thumbnails
Huge hole behind sink how to cover?-vanity-removal.jpg  

CXmandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #2

If that area is just a knee wall in the middle of the room and not an outside wall then it's your choise to cover the hole or not.
You would have to just mark out a section needing to be replaced with some straight lines and cut the vertical lines along the sides of the studs so you miss the nails, or remove the screws or nails. If you cut along the sides of the studs simply install some new ones along side of the ones that are there now to have something to attach your patch to.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #3

"...is there any possible reason this was left open?" Either laziness or fear of having to dig back in there later come to mind.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
"...is there any possible reason this was left open?" Either laziness or fear of having to dig back in there later come to mind.
This was the first thing that came to my mind as well, so I would definitely look everything over, real close, as they may have done something that they weren't sure would hold up. After that, as Joe said, it's your call, but I would take the piece of plywood out and drywall it, if only just because.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Love for Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
If that area is just a knee wall in the middle of the room and not an outside wall then it's your choise to cover the hole or not.
You would have to just mark out a section needing to be replaced with some straight lines and cut the vertical lines along the sides of the studs so you miss the nails, or remove the screws or nails. If you cut along the sides of the studs simply install some new ones along side of the ones that are there now to have something to attach your patch to.
I don't think it's a knee wall looks like a mirror above...optical illusion. I would take off the plywood, find studs on each side of the opening and remove the drywall in between but make the cuts of the center of the studs so you are able to secure the existing and new drywall. Then i would tape and mud it real quick, it doesn't have to look pretty I it's going behind the cabinet.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies. I was nervous since I watched several replacing vanities videos and nobody encountered this. Turns out what looks like plywood in the picture was actually yellowed, stained, drywall. Following suggestings I cut out and rescrewed in new drywall in the big hole and plastered up everything except the small slat between the two pipes coming out. I'm hoping to paint it on Friday.

-Cindy

CXmandering is offline   Reply With Quote