Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

how would I frame this tub corner?

Need to make this wall longer so tub surround panel will fit AND look good. very small room so the bigger wall is already undesired. the tub sides are severely tapered. And you should see the corner is not square, but mitered.
The outside 2x represents the exact width of the panel and if I rock the face with 1/2 inch should be even with the sides of tub. "If" that is good, then there will be that little triangle from the tub to the wall and kinda under the panel. What would do to close that. what to surface it with??

Or any other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
how would I frame this tub corner?-167.jpg   how would I frame this tub corner?-168.jpg   how would I frame this tub corner?-170.jpg   how would I frame this tub corner?-171.jpg   how would I frame this tub corner?-172.jpg  

papason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #2

That is a tough issue What if the wall was cut back short of the where the mitered corner on the tub starts ? It is that or continue the frame/wall to follow the tub miter to eliminate the mouse corner. good luck. jmo ...............................

Last edited by Jeeps; 04-21-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #3

Yah that is a bit of challenge. However, if you have someone who you consider an expert drywall taper, I'm sure he would be up to the challenge. Here's what I'd do to prep for his magic. [But I'll assume you'll be be the expert here..lol]

Apply a small triangle shaped piece of framing to the 1-1/2 tub side edge of the 2x6 from floor to 1/2" shy of the lowest point of the tub bevel. Add a small triangle piece of drywall to the top of that timber.

Second: get an edge trim that will be placed to the left edge of the face piece of drywall you'll be placing on the 2x6 face and have that edge piece travel up that left edge the same height as the initial framing triangle [or just under the little triangle pc of drywall] you put in place. It should be touching the tub to complete transition point.

Now as for the exposed edge of that small drywall angle, the drywall taper will have to work that into his corner taping.

I guess that's my 2 cents, but it is a bit of test of skill. But with durabond 45 mud, I'm sure you'll be able to blend in that corner to look halfway decent to the eye.

Good luck!

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

that is easy. just frame it so it can hold a piece of 45deg drywall.
then tile like this.
Attached Thumbnails
how would I frame this tub corner?-img_0805.jpg   how would I frame this tub corner?-img_0806.jpg  
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #5

ya jeeps, cutting the panel was the thought while looking for the kits but any we would want dont apear to lend themselves to cutting back very well.

Crossworks, That too is something I thought of. The challenges are the tub sides taper in and is more rounded not just flat straight up. Is there an edgeing that is that flexible? I dont recall seing any. I also have concerns about the using drywall for the surface of the triangle. It is not a heavy wear area but it is a rental and things usualy need to be more durable.

With the shorter wall I cut the 2x6 to more closely follow the tub wall and the same for the drywall and caulked the the edge. The edge of the drywall was beveld also. It was lots of work but it did work for 5 years and did not look too bad.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 46

Papason---Is there enough money in the budget to replace that tub?

That is a tub designed to be open on that end---no wall---with no flange at that end you will have a heck of a time keeping water from getting inside your framing--

Just asking----Mike---
Old 04-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #7

Mike, I started to do that early on in this project. It is an old iron tub. Walls have to come out , a group of super strong people would be needed. I thought abut cutting it up, anyway we passed on that option.
I am worried about water gettting in there.

Maybe I should return it back to original and have a wrap around curtain. Everybody hates it though.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 46

Those old tubs crack and break up when smacked with a sledge hammer---

I removed one of that same model a couple of years ago---if knocking it to peices is an option,consider it---Mike---
Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #9

First, I commend you for wanting to preserve your old tub.

This was an interesting engineering exercise.

I broke it into three problems:
1) Put a wall at the end of tub that has a top rounded edge
2) Deal with the corner that is a angled and rounded
3) To preserve the tub, no drilling or permanent attachment, in case you or the next owner want to remove the wall (preserve value)
Problem 1: For the end walls use 2 x 6 notched 1.5 in to fit over the tub. With a 1.5 in notch a 2 x 4 wall could be used as well if space is an issue. At the top of the notch mount a 2 x 2 so the 2 x 2 rests on bead of caulk on the tub. The tub doesn't support any weight. You also need to create a waterproof seal using the caulk that allows the tub and wall to flex independently. Run the wall to within an 1/2 in to 1 in of the start of the corner, staying on the flat part of the tub. Hope fully this will get

Problem 2: The trick is to avoid the corner. You still need to provide for mounting a shower curtain. The first idea I came up with was to build a post at the front end of the tub offset away from the corner. The corner and the post become decoratve elements. The further the post is away from the corner the easier cleaning, the closer means less space is used. I attached an example where the post intersects with the wall (not a requirement)
Name:  Corner1.png
Views: 231
Size:  1.9 KB

The second thought I had was that the shower curtain only needs an attachment point at the top of the wall, so just add an extension to the top 12 to 16 in of the wall. This could be as simple as attaching two 2 x 4 16 in long to the wall and covering or could get fancier depending on your decor.

Similarly there are 90 degree shower pole mounts. They are hard to find, but they do exist. I have one, but can't remember where I found it.

Problem 3: When in doubt caulk it and then MAINTAIN the caulk. The red line shows the only place where you will have to deal with curves. Somebody else can probably tell you the best caulk to use. It's the weekend, I don't have access to my caulk guy.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #10

Thanks Goosbarry. i still have work with that to be sure I am following you on problem one. The 2x2 is for ?

it sounds a lot like what I did already, although without the 2x2. i need to make it longer and therefore involving the corner, so as to fit the panel.

i pulled it all out of the box today to dry fit and found it broken. Since it will be going back I am thinking of going with tile of some sort. so a custom wall and would not need to frame the corner. If we dont find tile cheap enough right away then will have to go back to the original problem.

I
Old 04-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by papason View Post
Thanks Goosbarry. i still have work with that to be sure I am following you on problem one. The 2x2 is for ?

it sounds a lot like what I did already, although without the 2x2. i need to make it longer and therefore involving the corner, so as to fit the panel.

i pulled it all out of the box today to dry fit and found it broken. Since it will be going back I am thinking of going with tile of some sort. so a custom wall and would not need to frame the corner. If we dont find tile cheap enough right away then will have to go back to the original problem.

I
The 2 x 2 is to give you a nailing surface across the botom for your backer board/wall surface.

Your picture showed wallboard. I assumed you would use backer board or something else that is water proof.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #12

Goosberry- Ahhh. so the 2x2 goes in the notch. I went without the bottom nailer, dont remember why. I guess it ddid not seem needed and turns out it was not.

The picture is just a piece from the demo and was using it for visual, am using greenboard unless we go with tile then like hardy board or something.