Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How to Regrout Shower

Hi,

I've been searching through the posts and finding a number of tips on regrouting a shower, but the one thing I don't see is a step by step of how to actually go about it. Please note any omissions or mistakes:

1. Remove 2/3 of existing grout.

2. Remove dust.

3. Clean with bleach.

4. Rinse and let dry

5. Apply new grout with grout float. ( Non-Sanded if < 1/8" spaces ). ( Do not grout corners or where it meets the tub. Silicone is to be used here ).

6. Wait recommended period.

7. Apply sealer. Wait recommended period.

There seems to be some debate on pre-mixed grout and modified grout.
Also, what type of sealer to use.

Advice Appreciated.

Mike Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

How to Regrout Shower

Well, I'm now done, so for anyone attempting something similar, I can offer a few tips.

1. Remove old Grout. Test out an inconspicuous area first to see how hard your existing grout is. Turns out mine was really hard. I think this is because it was originally done with polymer-modified grout. I found the old box. The little grout saw is ok, but is not sufficient on its' own. I had to use a carbide-tipped scoring tool to get all of the old grout out. It was very difficult and took a long time. Also, if your tiles are like mine, and space inbetween is inconsistent ( 1/6-1/8), the grout saw will not fit in the small space. Be prepared for a few scratches, because it is difficult to control these hand tools and they are very sharp and will scratch glazed tile. I made sure to get all of the grout out in order to expose the sides of the tile so that the new grout would have something to stick to.

2. I did not clean it with bleach. I didn't think it was necessary.

3. A good cleanup is essential. Especially where silicone was removed. I made a special scraping tool from hardwood so that it would not scratch the acrylic tub. I also used a razor blade.

4. Mixing the grout is easy, just follow the instructions. A chart on the box will show you how much you need. I mixed up more than I needed and threw a lot away.

5. When applying, you don't have much time to play with the grout. It begins to set quite quickly. Just one or two passes. Don't panic because the damp sponge will fix mostly everything. In fact, if doing a small area, I might recommend just pressing the grout in by hand and going over with the sponge. Be sure to wring out all the water.

6. I then misted the grout periodically for 3 days to extend the curing time.

7. I then used a foam brush to apply the grout sealer to the grout. It kind of runs all over the place, but seems to clean up from the glazed tiles quite readily.

8. I then masked the joints before applying the silicone caulking.

Hope this helps.

Mike Mike is offline   Reply With Quote