How To Properly Finish Around Sides Of Tub? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How to properly finish around sides of tub?

The plan was to only tile to the edge of the tub, but I'm at a loss as to how to finish the sides. The other edges of the tub will be covered by cement board when I tile, but what are my options for the sides?

Advertisement

HenryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Normally the same way, with cement board and tile. If you have the room I would add other stud to the end of the wall. This will give you a little more room to add cement board and tile. If you are adding a stud now is the time to be sure it plumb when installed. Makes the tiling alot easier.

Advertisement

Last edited by Mop in Hand; 02-07-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mop in Hand View Post
Normally the same way, with cement board and tile. If you have the room I would add other stud to the end of the wall. This will give you a little more room to add cement board and tile. If you are adding a stud now is the time to be sure it plumb when installed. Makes the tiling alot easier.

If tiling this area as well is the best option then I will change things around to accommodate this.

I checked and adding another 2x4 wouldn't really be an option. Just across from this is a pedestal sink, and I'm afraid the space is already too tight.

What is the best way too attach the cement board? The fiberglass obviously isn't flush with the studs, and I was under the assumption the cement board shouldn't be attached to the tub at all. This doesn't leave me much room. How should I address the uneven surface, and how should I attach the board before I tile?
HenryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I normally shim the wall out even the flange of the tub. The cement board is installed over the flange 1/4" above the base. I know that others install the board on top of the flange, however this is not the way I do it. (never had a call back) A moisture barrier should be installed. This can be done with 6 mil plastic installed before the board is installed, or use Redgard before the tile is installed. I prefer the Redgard. Do not use both. If the endwall is out of plumb, then I would strongly suggest at least a 1x4 be installed and shimmed out to plumb it up. If plumb, I would predrill the cement board and install it right over the flange down the side. If you have shimmed out the walls, the cement board along the side should be flush and plumb with the rest of the board.