Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to pitch L-shaped half-wall for shower?

I have an L shaped half-wall to form the end of my shower enclosure. I want to pitch the top plate of the wall to the inside of the shower to allow water to run off. However, the wall has a short return L at one end. I want to put a piece of granite on this wall but I'm not sure how to pitch the L. A 2% grade would be over a quarter inch in 14 in which might be obvious. I assume that the channel for the shower glass can absorb a certain amount of pitch but not sure how much. I don't really want to miter the granite and bevel it at the 90 corner but would rather have it in one piece.

Last edited by Andy S.; 03-28-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Don't like the way quote marks are presented,
Andy S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just pitch it a bit with the thinset if you want. I don't think it's an issue.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,468

Ron is correct, slope the granite not the top plate of the wall. This way the glass rail will sit properly and the packing will work as it should. If I understand you correctly the granite makes an "L" shower side. Probably the best way to do that is to cut the granite at a 45 and slope both pieces toward the shower. It doesn't require much slope in this case and 1/4" may be too much.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #4

The granite will sit on the L and overlap both sides of the wall. The shower glass will sit on the granite. The L shape is what complicates things, for me at least, since it requires either cutting the granite at a 45 to get it to slope inwards on both legs, or running a long pitch down the L leg. I was just wondering if there was a usual and customary way to do it. Sounds easier to take care of it with thinset than planing the top plate regardless of how I cut it.
Thanks for the responses!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Tileguy

Even with a slope water will still stand on the granite. Why is that an issue to begin with? Why is any slope necessary? If the metal is installed atop the granite and then caulked where's the water going to migrate to?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #6

I think you may be right. It will be wet regardless but I would like to have a little runoff so I don't have stagnant pools growing mold along the glass seal. Someone suggested a squeegee blade after every shower, but that's not me and I don't have a maid so I thought I would put gravity to work for me.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Tileguy

I understand your concerns but I'm thinking a little water standing isn't a big deal. The water will evaporate and of course that evaporation is what causes water spots but if you don't care to use a squeegee or towel dry surfaces after every shower-use, then what?

Ventilation and air flow is as important as anything else. If you create some air flow and allow it to operate for a time after each shower use, it will go a long way in deterring mold and mildew growth and it is a hands-free method.

As far as "stagnant pools" I'm not seeing that happening if all is built correctly.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #8

Thanks Bud.
"Stagnant pools" was a bit of an overstatement to be sure. I think I have reached a point where I may have been obsessing on too many details and forgetting the big picture. I put the top plate on flat and will pitch the granite a little and let the water fall where it may.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
Tileguy

Yow...theoretically, if a shower is used regularly, nothing can stagnate.