DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to pitch L-shaped half-wall for shower?

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an L shaped half-wall to form the end of my shower enclosure. I want to pitch the top plate of the wall to the inside of the shower to allow water to run off. However, the wall has a short return L at one end. I want to put a piece of granite on this wall but I'm not sure how to pitch the L. A 2% grade would be over a quarter inch in 14 in which might be obvious. I assume that the channel for the shower glass can absorb a certain amount of pitch but not sure how much. I don't really want to miter the granite and bevel it at the 90 corner but would rather have it in one piece.

#3 ·
Ron is correct, slope the granite not the top plate of the wall. This way the glass rail will sit properly and the packing will work as it should. If I understand you correctly the granite makes an "L" shower side. Probably the best way to do that is to cut the granite at a 45 and slope both pieces toward the shower.:) It doesn't require much slope in this case and 1/4" may be too much.:)

#4 ·
Thanks

The granite will sit on the L and overlap both sides of the wall. The shower glass will sit on the granite. The L shape is what complicates things, for me at least, since it requires either cutting the granite at a 45 to get it to slope inwards on both legs, or running a long pitch down the L leg. I was just wondering if there was a usual and customary way to do it. Sounds easier to take care of it with thinset than planing the top plate regardless of how I cut it.
Thanks for the responses!

#6 ·
I think you may be right. It will be wet regardless but I would like to have a little runoff so I don't have stagnant pools growing mold along the glass seal. Someone suggested a squeegee blade after every shower, but that's not me and I don't have a maid so I thought I would put gravity to work for me.

#7 ·
I understand your concerns but I'm thinking a little water standing isn't a big deal. The water will evaporate and of course that evaporation is what causes water spots but if you don't care to use a squeegee or towel dry surfaces after every shower-use, then what?

Ventilation and air flow is as important as anything else. If you create some air flow and allow it to operate for a time after each shower use, it will go a long way in deterring mold and mildew growth and it is a hands-free method.

As far as "stagnant pools" I'm not seeing that happening if all is built correctly.:)

#8 ·
Thanks Bud.
"Stagnant pools" was a bit of an overstatement to be sure. I think I have reached a point where I may have been obsessing on too many details and forgetting the big picture. I put the top plate on flat and will pitch the granite a little and let the water fall where it may.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.