Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #1

Share |

How much to tip my contractors?

I'm having two of my bathrooms remodeled and am using a professional contractor. The various workmen have really done brilliant work. I am unsure what the tipping protocol would be? do I tip each painter, plumber, carpenter individually at the end of the job? If so, how much is customary? The total for the work will probably be in the neighborhood of $14,000 or so. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Kitty751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #2

I've never heard of anyone tipping a contractor

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I have recieved a few tips before, but agree they are very rare. As the boss, I feel a little strange about taking tips. Obviusly, the employees are all for it! Be careful of tipping individually tho, as these people may work together often, & discuss what each got as a tip. If it's not the same for all, it may create animosity among the workers. You may be best off "tipping" them with appreciation, "Thank You's", & glowing refferals to other homeowners. I can tell you from experiance, the best "tip" I can get is a nice little letter or note sent with the payment showing the customers appreciation.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #4

I have always tipped my workmen -- usually I hand them a $20 bill as they leave. I tip plumbers, electricians, tile setters, deliverymen -- you name it. But perhaps now I'll rethink that practice. You've just saved me a bundle!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #5

I agree with jomama45.
A letter of appreciation for the fine craftmanship of the contractor and his workers is more valuable then a tip. These letters will go into his referance book along with pictures of the finished work. Let the contractor decide which employees will get a bonus. If the contractor posts these letters on his bulletin board, the workers will see that their efforts are appreciated too.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #6

I will definitely take that hint and write my contractor a letter of appreciation. Also, my contractor also happens to live in this housing development, so I will also post a glowing recommendation to our neighborhood list serv and that should do the trick. Many thanks for your reply.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
FYI - It does happen on occasion.

It may be cash, it may also be a gift card to a restaurant.

The gift cards are much more common as a "tip" for GC's...and in IMHO, more tasteful than cash (for a GC).

My workers receive tips a lot. They always tell me. One got a flat screen TV about two years ago. Just recently, one got a $100.00 and some nice cigars. He was the lead worker on a higher end master bathroom remodeling project.

FWIW - As far as I'm concerned, they earn those tips. Even the subs do, if they are given to them.

I have never expected a tip. A letter of thanks & appreciation, with a good written recommendation included, is a very satisfying and positive "pat on the back", that often means more - than a cash tip.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #8

A gift card to a restaurant would be the very thing! Come to think of it, the guys show up with Starbucks cups in their hands every morning, so perhaps I'll go pick up some coffee gift cards as well. During the workday, I furnish bottled water, snapple, pots of coffee and homemade baked goods, so we're great good friends now. Thanks for the tip about the gift cards -- I should keep them on hand in any event.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty751 View Post
A gift card to a restaurant would be the very thing! Come to think of it, the guys show up with Starbucks cups in their hands every morning, so perhaps I'll go pick up some coffee gift cards as well. During the workday, I furnish bottled water, snapple, pots of coffee and homemade baked goods, so we're great good friends now. Thanks for the tip about the gift cards -- I should keep them on hand in any event.
You are the type of home owner we would enjoy working for.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:15 PM   #10

There's so much wrong with this house, I could probably keep every contractor east of the Mississippi busy for quite a while!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:16 AM   #11

24 yrs in business, I think I have received 2 tips. I would enjoy it more, but a nice attaboy is sufficient.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #12

My guys have really gone above and beyond the call of duty. But I think gift cards are the way to go. So I'm laying-in a big supply!
Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #13

Would you like to move into my territory.........PLEASE. I will me most happy to do your bidding.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #14

The tip I would usually give is talking to people I know and finding them another job. I also make sure my fridge is full of water. I'm having a bunch of stuff done right now and I buy lunch at least once a week. This is much easier than tipping people individually.

Of course it all depends on the situation.
AdRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
long island, NY

We've never tipped a contractor... but we have always supplied a cooler full of drinks, and offered a few snacks. I think the best "tip" you could give them are several glowing reviews on angies list and other website...

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote