Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #1

Share |

How many inches of overhang for Island Countertop

How many inches should I have for overhang on an island that I'm having put in? The island measures 24"x44". I was thinking 5" on the sides and 12" on the seating side. Does that sound right???

It's going to be a granite countertop.

gatorade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #2

Sounds okay, but while a lot of the components of kitchen design, such as sink venting, electrical circuit size, etc., are controlled by their respective standards, you are now into an area in which you can let your crative juices flow. My suggestion would be to clip a tape measure on your belt, load your significant other, if applicable, in the car, and visit your local lumber yard or bulding center, where they undoubtedly have a variety of models for you to compare. You are looking for comfort and ease of use, as well as any other criteria that may be unique to you, so forget the fact that you don't particularly care for the color of the counters that they have on display, and focus on bellying up to the counter on a stool, passing a dish across to someone on the other side, etc. Then, once you know what YOU want, visit your granite supplier, and ask them if there are any issues with what you want to do. You may even have some frinds who did a makeover that caught your eye, so ask them to let you inspect theirs a bit closer. Just keep in mind things such as bumping your head on the counter top every time that you kneel down to get something out of the cupboard, and you'll be fine.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
old guy contractor

12" is minimal for seating
Don't know why you would do 5" on the other. It's just going to make it hard to get to a top drawer if there is one.

I would rather see 16" and 1"..........jus me 2
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote