Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to level the front of a jetted tub without shims.

I'm in the process of installing a new jetted tub in alcove but I'm facing some issues where the side of the tub are about 3/16" out of level (over 3' length) , probably do to uneven floors.

Adding 3/16" shims in the front under the legs of the tub, fixes the problem, but I don't feel comfortable as valuable solution. I searched internet and putting shims might create issues by allowing the tub to flex too much.

As work around, I seen post, where they advise to create a mortar bedding. Unfotunately, this option is not possible because my tub is stuck and cannot remove it without possible damages.

So, would be possible to just level the front of the tub, by building up the floors under the front legs with mortar? Or this might cause issues?

Last edited by avtck; 04-04-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Wrong Title
avtck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

There may be specific points to shim or it requires a mortar bed. Shimming the wrong places could cause the unit to crack. Check manufacturers installation instructions.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

You've already compromised the installation by wedging in the tub. What do you think will happen when you put 60 gallons of water into it. The pinching points could cause the tub to crack.
Remove the tub from the opening, frame the walls so the tub floats in the space and level the floors with a self leveling compound.
If you need to replace the studs, cut them out and reframe.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for the suggestions...

I called the tub manifacturer and advised me to shim the bottom of the tub and fill the void with mortar or foam. So I went ahead, shimmed the left front side of the tub and created a mortar bed for under the front legs which run the full length of the tub with mortar. Now the tub is squared when I put a 4' level on the end of both sides as well the middle (width wise) as well in the middle front or back of the tub (length side), but 1/16" off if I move the level all the way to the right side against the studs (lenght wise).

1/16" off level means, that the bubble is still within the 2 bars , but sligthly pointing more in one directions.

Would that be an issue?

Also, if installing 6 mil poly behind CBU can you also use Lacreate Watertight on the CBU to provide water proffing. Or you can only use one of the 2.

If so which one would be best. Two of the walls that sorround the alcove are external walls.
avtck is offline   Reply With Quote