DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to install Granite Shower Shelves

16K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Ron6519 
#1 ·
I have 4 - 8 inch granite corner shelves for the shower. They are 1 & 1/8 inches think, kinda of heavy. I am trying to figure out the best way to install them.

I am in the process of tiling the bathroom & shower. I am planning on using the waterproof membrane "Kerdi" in the shower. I have hardibacker board on the walls already.

I was told by some people that just using the normal wall mastic might not be enough to keep the shelves attached to the wall. I thought of using 2 pieces of sink railing (1 on each side of the corner) under the granite for extra support. Another idea was to use 2 pieces of aluminum 2" angle in the same manner. Any thoughts or other ideas?

#4 ·
Danny----code in the USA does not allow drywall in a wet area----

Protecting it with a membrane will offer a safe installation---but code does prohibit it-----

As to the corner shelves----notch the tiles to receive the shelves

Glue them in using 100% silicone caulk--

It is a cleaner install if you notch the lead edges of the shelves to hide the cuts into the tile----Mike---

#3 ·
Thanks Danny T. I appreciate the tip about the thinset. The drywall had to come off and thought I would just do everything with the cement board. What do you think about using two pieces of 2" angle to support the 8" granite corner shelve? One piece of angle would be 7" long and the other 5" long. Both would be screwed into 2 studs each. I thought I would cover the angle with kerdi then use a silicone or an epoxy?

#7 · (Edited)
I was told they were to heavy to just mount with the thin set cutting the tile to go around them. The shelves are 1 and an 1/8th inches thick with 8 inch sides. Too heavy???

Would there be any issues using aluminum with thin set, silicone, or Kerdi? I was thinking of using 2" angle to set the granite on.

#9 ·
Okay this is nuts!!! The shelves ARE NOT too heavy that's ridiculous.

You would never notch anything into the wallboard but you would notch the shelves into the wall tile. You don't need angle iron or aluminum or epoxy or bullet proof glass.

The shelves when notched into the tile will sit/rest on the tile. You can stand on them if you want to. They aren't going anywhere unless you are doing more stupid stuff with the tile adhesive. I don't know where some of you guys come up with some of the nonsense you bring here. You must be being instructed at the local barber shop.:)

I was told they were to heavy to just mount with the thin set cutting the tile to go around them.
Just plain wrong, that's all that is, just plain wrong.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.