Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Military Mom of 4

Share |

How to finish the top of a wood vanity for a bathroom sink counter?

I'm working on our master-bath and am modifying a buffet (a drawer/cabinet storage unit like a hutch - but without without the glass upper portion) to fit two sinks. I've already figured out how to install the plumbing so it's not obtrusive.

I need to figure out, though, how to finish the top. For the top I have just three ideas - I've ruled out tiling, seeing as hot tile presents it's own annoyances for me that I'd rather be without.

#1 is to buy a single-piece laminate top and cut it to fit two sinks and faucets.
#2 is to shellac the wood surface to permit the wood to be seen, but save it from contact with water.
#3 is to pour a cement slab on top in the same way you'd cement a kitchen counter.

But what are the advantages or disadvantages as far as function, cleanliness, water-proof/resistance and so forth of these methods?