DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Kitchen & Bath Remodeling (
-   -   How to finish this? (

GregDake 11-20-2012 06:39 PM

How to finish this?
1 Attachment(s)

I am working on remodeling our bathroom. Everything has gone great, and I'm over what I think are the most difficult challenges.

I just got to the point of installing the acrylic tub and shower surround in the alcove of the bathroom. The bathroom walls and ceiling are going to be drywall. I one section left to drywall, which is the portion in the picture that meets up with the shower surround. The three studs you see will be drywalled and behind the entryway door. My question is, and I have attached a picture for clarity, how do I drywall up to the shower surround? The problem is I drywall to the edge of the third stud next to the shower surround. Then the wall makes a 90 degree turn into the shower. What do I do with that little two inch strip running from the ceiling to the floor that makes up the shower surround edge? I'm not quite sure what to do with this corner. I think it would be very difficult and wrong to cut a 2 inch strip of drywall and somehow fasten it to the acrylic edge...Is there a molded corner or something I should be using here?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!


woodworkbykirk 11-20-2012 06:50 PM

i run into this all the time.. the end result varies.. .some times our mudman fills it with bond. other times we install pvc trim that butts to it then gets caulked with silicione weve also had our tile guy do a border with tile

GregDake 11-20-2012 06:54 PM

Hey thanks...Tile really isn't an option for this area for me. What type of PVC trim do you use? Also, if you have your mud guy fill it with bond, what does he use for a mold?

Thanks again!


scottktmrider 11-20-2012 08:27 PM

I usually like to make a bigger return from the edge of the tub so i will have a bigger piece to work with.Just put the strip of drywall on than your corner bead and you will be fine.You should shim the wall around the tub flange so the drywall will not be bowed out from the tub flange.And when you tape you want to flat tape the drywall where it meets the tub.It will give you smoother look rather than just caulking it.

woodworkbykirk 11-21-2012 03:45 PM

the trim that gets used is usuallly azec or a product thats the same material. most big box stores carry pvc molding.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1