Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #1

Share |

How far back does the dishwasher go?

I'm installing a dishwasher. I'm not sure how far back it should go under the counter.

Do I line up the top edge of the dishwasher with the edge of the counter?

Do I line up the front of the dishwasher's kickplate with the base cabinet's kickplate?

There are narrow "fins" sticking out from the tub. Are these supposed to align with the front edge of the cabinet side? Somewhere in the middle? Aligned with the back edge of the cabinet? In front of and overlapping the front edge of the cabinet side? Something else? Doesn't matter? Doesn't matter as long as you do NOT put it _____________?

Thanks for your help!

Richard

RichardZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardZ View Post
I'm installing a dishwasher. I'm not sure how far back it should go under the counter.

Do I line up the top edge of the dishwasher with the edge of the counter?

Do I line up the front of the dishwasher's kickplate with the base cabinet's kickplate?

There are narrow "fins" sticking out from the tub. Are these supposed to align with the front edge of the cabinet side? Somewhere in the middle? Aligned with the back edge of the cabinet? In front of and overlapping the front edge of the cabinet side? Something else? Doesn't matter? Doesn't matter as long as you do NOT put it _____________?

Thanks for your help!

Richard
Those fins are there for you to secure the DW to the underside of the counter top.
So when you open the DW the door opens without the whole unit moving.
Ideally, the DW would be flush with the base cabinets.

Last edited by sublime2; 12-17-2013 at 11:51 PM.
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
DIY staff

The rubber gasket presses against the sides of the face frame----most units,the metal screw tabs can be moved from the top and attached on the side,handy if you have a granite counter top---
Old 12-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #4

What does the installation manual for your dishwasher say? My unit, for example, can only be attached on the sides.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #5

Um, I think I'm confusing everyone. I have no problem with getting the dishwasher into the opening and securing it (the dishwasher has metal "tabs" at the top towards the front that I'll use to secure the DW to the bottom of the countertop with screws).

My question is how far back in the opening does it go. Another way to put this is with what does anything (the front edge of the DW, the DW's baseplate, the plastic fins extending from the tub) line up?

Sublime2 suggested that the DW should be flush with the base cabinets. If I put the front of the DW flush with the cabinet frame, it'll be waaaayyyy back there. Is this correct?

Some additional info:
  • My DW model number is FGHD2433KF1
  • This DW does not have a rubber gasket to press against the sides of the frame
  • The plastic "fins" that I refer to are part of the tub molding. They are at the front of the tub, and stick out at 90 degrees from the side of the tub. There is one on each side (none on the top or bottom). They are about an 1/8" wide and run more or less from the top of the tub to the bottom.
I can send a pic if that'd help ...

Richard
RichardZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #6

the face of the DW goes flush with the face of the cabinet doors.

or. put it how YOU like it.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardZ View Post
Um, I think I'm confusing everyone. I have no problem with getting the dishwasher into the opening and securing it (the dishwasher has metal "tabs" at the top towards the front that I'll use to secure the DW to the bottom of the countertop with screws).

My question is how far back in the opening does it go. Another way to put this is with what does anything (the front edge of the DW, the DW's baseplate, the plastic fins extending from the tub) line up?

Sublime2 suggested that the DW should be flush with the base cabinets. If I put the front of the DW flush with the cabinet frame, it'll be waaaayyyy back there. Is this correct?

Some additional info:
[*]My DW model number is FGHD2433KF1[*]This DW does not have a rubber gasket to press against the sides of the frame[*]The plastic "fins" that I refer to are part of the tub molding. They are at the front of the tub, and stick out at 90 degrees from the side of the tub. There is one on each side (none on the top or bottom). They are about an 1/8" wide and run more or less from the top of the tub to the bottom.
I can send a pic if that'd help ...

Richard
Set the DW back to the point it is aesthetically pleasing to your eye and your done.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #8

See step; 9.4; http://manuals.frigidaire.com/PDFnot...el=FGHD2433KF1

Gary
Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #9

For me, the key is to have the rubber seal pressing against the sides of the cabinet edges and the top anchors concealed. The rest is cosmetic.
A couple tips- measure the height of your opening and pre-adjust legs as best you can. It's important to have the levelers loose so you can reach under the tub and make final adjustments to align to the the cabinets.
Put the machine on a moving pad or cardboard while you are pushing it in the hole- you don't want to gouge the floor.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
Link is dead for me?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
the face of the DW goes flush with the face of the cabinet doors.

or. put it how YOU like it.
Generally true. However, if the unit is one of those super-high-capacity things like mine, it is deeper than a typical dishwasher and will only go back so far. Mine sticks out a good 3/4-inch beyond the door faces because it simply won't go back any farther. Nobody, wife included, has ever commented that it doesn't look "right."
Old 12-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Generally true. However, if the unit is one of those super-high-capacity things like mine, it is deeper than a typical dishwasher and will only go back so far. Mine sticks out a good 3/4-inch beyond the door faces because it simply won't go back any farther.

Nobody, wife included, has ever commented that it doesn't look "right."
does it stick out past the counter top ?

that doesn't mean its right.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
does it stick out past the counter top ?

that doesn't mean its right.
Yes, it sticks out about 1/2-inch beyond the countertop overhang, which lines up with the drawer faces. It simply won't go back any farther than it is, and since it attaches at the sides rather than the top, if it would go back there'd be nothing to attach it to. What's "right" is subjective - the thing works just fine and the look doesn't bother us.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #14

Sorry, it's a pictograph (?) from the manufacturer;
"Countertop Anchoring
1. Install the Cabinet Seal Kit (Instructions included in Kit)
2. Replace Kickplate. See Figure 1
3. Adjust levelers (see Step 5) so mounting brackets touch
underside of countertop. IMPORTANT: Dishwasher must rest on
floor—do not hang from countertop. See Figure 14.
4. Tub needs to be even with the front of adjoining cabinets.
5. Screw mounting brackets firmly to countertop using screws
provided in literature packet.
6. Open and close dishwasher door slowly. If door hits mounting
brackets lower the dishwasher in front and rear." from "installation instructions"; http://b2b.frigidaire.com/support/Re...d2433kf1&User=

Gary
Old 12-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Yes, it sticks out about 1/2-inch beyond the countertop overhang, which lines up with the drawer faces. It simply won't go back any farther than it is, and since it attaches at the sides rather than the top, if it would go back there'd be nothing to attach it to.

What's "right" is subjective - the thing works just fine and the look doesn't bother us.
i would like to see a pic of that.
you could make it go back further. cutting drywall and studs. but that would be some work right there.

very true.