Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Electrician

Share |

How do you intersect drywall (or in my case plaster) into tile on the same plane?

Since fishtale's issue was solved and I have a similar question I'll ask it here. How do you intersect drywall (or in my case plaster) into tile on the same plane?

Here is my situation: I am going to be removing the tile and plaster/cement from the shower area of my bathroom and replacing it with 1/2" cement board and new tile. On this same wall there is existing plaster that I want to keep, but it's about 3/4" thick. It is gypsum lath and plaster, in some areas it might even be a little thicker.

So how would I meet the new tile to the existing plaster? I need to do this on both sides of the shower.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Tileguy

How do you intersect drywall (or in my case plaster) into tile on the same plane?

Probably shouldn't hijack someone elses thread when it is so easy to start your own. The subject matter is entirely different.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Electrician

As I mentioned, the thread starter's mission was accomplished so I figured this would be the perfect place to continue the discussion of meeting tile to drywall, etc.

Sorry
Old 08-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
As I mentioned, the thread starter's mission was accomplished so I figured this would be the perfect place to continue the discussion of meeting tile to drywall, etc.

Sorry
Thats ok. I'll try to answer it.
I'd cut the plaster very carefully so that it's a couple of inches behind the tiled part. Sometimes the plaster is 1/2" thick on top of the gypsum lath.
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Its better to start your own thread. Even when topics are similar. Since the OP may not want to be notified every time a response is made. And it not be in response to him.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Tileguy

Altering plastered walls is almost always a dubious task. Since the plaster is added to either wood lath, wire lath, or plaster sub-boards, by hand the application can vary seriously in thickness.

I have done this a couple of different ways. One way is to build out the wall using 1/2" and 1/4" drywall then waterproofing it in a shower.

The other way is to still do a build-out with sheet goods but leave it short then fill it with thinset or plaster and waterproof that.

Either way it can be tricky to get it just right.

Sometimes a nice neat cut into the old plaster and adding a chair rail trim tile at that cut will disguise any variations.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote