DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How do I install a ceramic soap and shampoo corner shelf?

18K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 ·

Hello,

I am remodeling my bathroom. I installed new walls and partially tiles around a tub. I made some space between tiles for a ceramic corner shelf. How do I install a bathroom ceramic soap and shampoo corner shelf? Do I need to use an adhesive or 100% silicon?
Home Depot employee told me to use 100% silicon, but somewhere I saw suggestion to use some adhesive or thin-set mortar.

Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The corner shelf you are showing in the photo requires a metal anchoring cleat/clip that fits into the corner and is screwed to the studs. The dish has (should have) two channels in the back at the center point to receive the metal anchoring clip. The dish simply slips over the clip from the top and then you can caulk the perimeter.

I wouldn't trust silicone alone to keep that dish on the wall for very long.:)

I don't agree that HD has this correct. I don't think so.:)

#6 ·
I was looking around and I now see there are apparently "flat-back" shelves that must not have a cleat. In all my years I have never seen one of those things.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. This company has gone out of business in the U.S. and has moved to Thailand, imagine that! Stock is still available however.

http://www.eclectic-ware.com/Eclectic-ware/Lenape/Lenape_shelves/lenape_shelves.html

There is NO WAY I would install a flat-back unit with silicone and trust it to stay put.:(

#7 ·
That's slick---never saw that design---Most in this area are lug back (tile cut out to install)

Occasionally flat backs--I seldom use the flat backs,but the silicone holds just fine--never a call back.

#8 ·
Odd isn't it? I have never seen the flat-backs. I prefer the clinchers in the tile but occasionally someone will come up with the cleated style. I would be careful using silicone on just any tile. The old slick-surfaced glazed tile would send me into a panic if anyone suggested I install a flat-back on it with silicone.:)

#10 ·
There was an article in Family Handyman a month or two ago about installing one of those in an existing shower (I know you said you left a gap, though). They put heavy duty strips of double-sided adhesive on the shelf, put a bead of silicone around it and stuck it into place (you gotta do it right the first time). I've personally never tried it. I guess it would be strong enough to hold soap & shampoo but if anyone ever nailed it with their knee or something, I could see it coming loose. No horseplay in the shower and it'd be fine :wink:

#12 ·
Another thing.

I saw some corner shelf installation video on youtube. In that video they installed shelf very tight between tiles, so the upper edge of tiles helps to keep the shelf in place and doesn't allow the shelf falling down. And of course they use some glue like silicone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.