Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #1

Share |

how to deal with a window in a shower

I have a 5' by 4'6" area I want to turn into a walk-in shower area in my master bath. I'll be stealing it from what was a huge bathroom for the general purpose of the 1st floor, so the area for the shower is going to have the window in it. the window is roughy 24" x 36" and I'd like to not just board it up. It's a new vinyl window put in last year and I'd like to keep the light aspect if not the exterior view of the window.

I was looking into 3 possible paths:

1) glass blocks. I have 3 inches, maybe 3.5 inches from the edge of the window to where the window sill ends, so if I glass blocks that are 3" rather than what I've found to be the standard 4" exists I could just block it in and leave the current window on the other side. I'd prefer this as it seems to be the best of both worlds; I get to keep my current window so the exterior looks the same to me while it waterproofs it in what seems to be the currently accepted manner.

Problem: I can't find thinner glass blocks. Any others?

2) try to get a single sheet of fogged glass/ not clear glass and install it in the opening. it'd give me a better light penetration I think because there'd be less grout lines. but can it be done? can I buy a 2.5" thick piece of fogged glass that is ~23" by 35"? could I buy even a 23" by 17"?

problem: I can't find anyone who's done it. Pro's best of both above and below options

3) tile up to the window, make sure the window sill tiles towards the shower so the water doesn't collect and I guess make sure the head is not near it and accept that water will splash onto the window but it shouldn't cause problems... I hope....

thoughts? ideas?

thanks

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #2

how do you propose air (and therefor moisture) sealing whatever option you chose? is the window worth it in a shower? it may get tricky keeping moisture out of the wall; that would be my worry, anyway. good luck.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Depending on your location and what code is in effect, you may not be able to have the window in your shower as you described.
Your shower is possibly considered a 'hazardous' area, as such the bottom of any glazing will have to be at a minimum of 60" above the shower surface.
Anything below 60" needs to be of tempered glass.

The reference is from the IRC R308.4 "Hazardous Locations"

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #4

you might also need to maintain an open-able window by code too.

do you have a vent fan in the bathroom?
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #5

1) I assume I can get a piece of tempered glass that big, I'd install it flush with the wall I'd like to try and waterproof it to seal it off. thus giving me light but hopefully solving the waterproof problem

2) I have another window in the room that wouldn't be in the shower area, so that would still be accessible. As part of this general renovation I'd be installing a bathroom fan to exhaust the humidity from the bathroom in general though so that should address the humidity problem.
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #6

I am going to remodel my bathroom and I have a window in the shower. I know that I must use tempered glass. Can I use a piece of tempered glass only on the inside pane and a piece of frosted non tempered on the outside pane. The window has double panes in it and I can have this configuration made at a local glass co. Will this meet code. Is it in any code books thanks
howard greenber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #7

Best way would be to completly remove the window, more trouble then it's worth.

If you insist on keeping it you can buy replace windows that use acrilic glass blocks. I would replace all the trim around it with vinyl.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #8

Howard go back and add your own post please.
It gets to confusing trying to keep the ansewers straight when two people are asking questions.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #9

first... glass blocks will not fit into your existing window (it would need to be removed and glass block installed in its place)

second...yes you can get tempered glass that big (or bigger) no you cant get it that thick, but your existing window glass is probably only 5/8" thick (assuming its insulated glass)

third... the real problem with a window in a shower is that the window is made to keep water out of the house (from the outside) the only real solution to this is to "wetseal" or caulk all the metal to metal, metal to glass, and metal to tile joints with silicone.
REDRUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #10

fwiw you can get a tempered glass insulated unit the will fit into your window that looks like glass blocks.

REDRUM is offline   Reply With Quote