Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How To Buy Granite Countertops?

My wife wants granite countertops installed and I've started looking around. For some reason I'm getting a little confused.

Is it better to call a contractor to come out and give you an estimate or better to just go to a show room somewhere and pick out a color and then get measured? If I call a contractor, do I call a kitchen remodeler or just a granite countertop guy?

Thanks.

HowToGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Matters not.

toe-may-toe/toe-mah-toe

Old 08-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,368

When shopping for granite tops ---make a drawing of the room with the top sizes as accurately as you can and bring a photo of the room.

With this you will get more accurate estimates----

No need to hire a contractor unless other work is to be done in conjunction with the tops.

You will need a plumber to hook up the faucet and sink drains--and possibly open the wall and lower the drain opening.(If you get a deep under mounted sink with a disposer.)

Ask friends for counter top companies they have had good experiences with.

Remember, Cheap and lousy often walk hand in hand.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can start out at the fabricators or the stone yard. The stone yard will send the slabs to any fabricator. The fabricator will come to the house and template the job and take the setup back with them. The fabricators make and install the counter.
There's no need for another contractor.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

A lot of good advise in those last few post. I went to 3 different yards before I picked mine out. I had a unique counter top that would require 2 slabs if I chose one that had runs of color or veins. You have to buy it that way so you can't see the seams or direction change unless you get one that doesn't have the veins. I ended up finding a slab big enough that they could do the whole kitchen from and not tell where the seams are. Take your drawing and find the granite YOU like cause a contractor will give you an estimate for something unseen and all granite is not the same price. Then the edge cut cost if you go fancy like we did. My advise is to shop around and go with someone feel comfortable with.

JohninSC is offline   Reply With Quote