Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #1

Share |

How to attach end panel to kitchen cabinet?

I'm installing new kitchen cabinets, just the pre made stuff from a box store. I have a few spots where I need to attach finished end panels. 1/8" oak plywood I finished. Do I just glue these on or use fasteners? If so what kind?
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
I'm installing new kitchen cabinets, just the pre made stuff from a box store. I have a few spots where I need to attach finished end panels. 1/8" oak plywood I finished. Do I just glue these on or use fasteners? If so what kind?
I wouldn't put fasteners through your nice new oak panels. I would think gorilla glue or liquid nails would work fine....it's nothing structural.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
I wouldn't put fasteners through your nice new oak panels. I would think gorilla glue or liquid nails would work fine....it's nothing structural.
Alright thank you. I will just use some wood glue to glue it on. While searching I read some use 23 gauge pin nailers to fasten it but my smallest nailer is an 18 gauge. I will use some 2x4s and clamps to try and hold it while the glue dries. Just need something to hold the panel flat and tight to the cabinet until glue dries.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
Alright thank you. I will just use some wood glue to glue it on. While searching I read some use 23 gauge pin nailers to fasten it but my smallest nailer is an 18 gauge. I will use some 2x4s and clamps to try and hold it while the glue dries. Just need something to hold the panel flat and tight to the cabinet until glue dries.
As long as you didn't finish the back of your panels, and the sides of the cabinets are unfinished, wood glue should be fine.

Clamped flat and tight, roger that
Old 05-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #5

Sounds good, thanks for the help.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #6

Any reason I couldn't use contact cement? It would eliminate the need for clamps since this is on the side of a pantry it's a larger panel, 24x84, so clamping isn't going to be the easiest. Just another idea.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #7

I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

Just be careful with the CC...once it's on, it's ON...so if it's not in the right spot, it's still ON, just on wrong.

CC works well on horizontal surfaces because you can put "slip boards" between the mating parts and line them up just right, then start removing the slips. You won't really have that option. Not saying it's impossible, just be aware of that.

Depending on how flexible your panel is, you may be able to apply the CC to half of the panel (and cabinet of course) while using the other half as a "key" of sorts to keep it aligned.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #8

you can use 100 percent silicone (or glue) and a few dabs of hot glue here and there for temporary adhesion while the silicone (or glue) cures.
one cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #9

i've put together ikea cabinets and they just include 1" wood screws. Screw the panel to the side of the box. Screw from inside the box.
bcbud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbud3 View Post
i've put together ikea cabinets and they just include 1" wood screws. Screw the panel to the side of the box. Screw from inside the box.
They must be different setup because if I did that I would be screwing into an 1/8" thick panel, don't think the screws would grab much without poking threw the panel.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #11

ikea has 2 different size panels thickness, one is 3/4" thick and the others a 1/2" (i think)
bcbud3 is offline   Reply With Quote