Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #1

Share |

How to approach silicone caulk repair

I have replaced a cracked tile on the top edge of the base/footing of our frameless glass shower. The right angle between the glass wall and the tile footing was sealed by what appears to be clear silicone caulk. The broken tile was loose and therefore easy to slide out without cutting away the existing caulk. The replaced tile is 6" long and sits at one end of the glass shower wall. The caulk runs the entire 3-4' length of the glass shower wall and is in good condition, no mildew etc, but of course the waterproof seal has been broken where the new 6" tile now sits. I am concerned that if I replace only the 6" of silicone there will be a leak where it joins the rest of the length of silicone.

Is this a valid concern? If so, any way to avoid? or do I have to remove and replace the entire 3-4 feet of silicone caulk? I want to do it right, but don't want to create more problems as I have never caulked with silicone and have read that it can be tricky. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

jrobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #2

A picture would sure help.
The only time caulking should be used is where tile changes direction, or where it comes up againt a differant surface IE: a tub, shower pan.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #3

Thanks for quick reply! I attached a picture showing the details of my situation.... I want to ensure a proper waterproof seal between the glass and the tile at area #2 in the pic.

(Of course, welcome any other comments/advice if my other plans appear off track.)
Attached Thumbnails
How to approach silicone caulk repair-shower_fix.jpg  
Old 01-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #4

Got the right idea, but with gaps that big I would buy sanded silicone caulking. Instead of white you can buy it any one of hundreds of colors to match your grout. Any real tile store can help you.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #5

thanks joecaption!