Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #1

Share |

Help with shower pan removal - 1960s bath

I am renovating a bath that had a cave-like, 31" x 53" tiled shower. I can see water damage looking up at the subfloor. A plumber told me it is likely that the shower pan failed.

The 1" shower floor tiles came up easily with a hammer and flat edge screwdriver. Then I tried chiseling away at the substance underneath, and also hitting it with a sledgehammer, with no real success. I am not sure how to continue with removal of this substance. I assume this is "mud" that is covering the shower pan. (?)

I am not sure what the shower pan is made of, but it is a thicker, somewhat rubberized, bendable material that also went up all four corners of the shower.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Help with shower pan removal - 1960s bath-cimg0021.jpg

Help with shower pan removal - 1960s bath-cimg0018.jpg

Help with shower pan removal - 1960s bath-cimg0019.jpg

Help with shower pan removal - 1960s bath-cimg0020.jpg

jm71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
DIY staff

I think what you are looking at is a LEAD liner pan with mesh and concrete.

Quite common years ago,still used today in some areas.

Wear a respirator ,put a fan in the window , carefully keep the dust out of the rest of the house.

Good luck,Try to loosen the drain.See if the whole thing can be popped off the floor.

Have fun-be safe--MIKE--

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:17 AM   #3

What he said, either lead or a thick reinforced rubber. The mud is over metal lath and usually a bear to get out, but once you get a crack in it, it gets easier. I use a rotary hammer/chisel. Take up the drain any way you can, pry, drill out screws, etc. You don't want to keep the trap that is under there, they are major clog points.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
long island, NY

yeah, that metal is definitely lead. it looks just like our lead shielding in the lab!

Wear gloves and a mask when demo'ing, and carefully clean-up after you're done :-)
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #5

I am always amazed that there is no flat blocking to help support the pan between the studs so there is no sag into the pocket. Always do it myself
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #6

Not lead, a membrane shower pan: http://books.google.com/books?id=Q-D...%20pan&f=false
Be safe, Gary
Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
Former Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm71 View Post
I am not sure what the shower pan is made of, but it is a thicker, somewhat rubberized, bendable material that also went up all four corners of the shower.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Attachment 14399
I have not seen the metal lath before, interesting!

It appears a GREAT time to do a little rearraging of the pipe work. If you open the entire front of the shower and go with the glass panels or one big glass door it will feel bigger in there. Maybe have the plumbing on the wall on the right side. Overall.... that shower was there for 40 years.... it looks nice and dry around the studs. I'd say a nice job by the original installer! How many times are these types of showers ripped out to find mold & rot.

Plumbers - Are the 2x4's on that that curb supposed to be lying on the 2x side? I had been taught they are installed flat then doubled. But I only did a few showers like this and 3 of the 4 I worked on were about 20 years ago.

PTP WX is offline   Reply With Quote