Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

Help with Kitchen Model Redesign

Hi Everyone:

I just completed renovation of two rooms (bedrooms, and office) in my c1905 two family rowhouse in Weehawken, NJ -- just outside of New York city.

I'm working on the top floor, which clearly was not an apartment in the early life of the house. A kitchen was added, although with a fairy un-intuitive layout. It is attached to what was originally a bedroom, however I will be converting the adjoining room to a living room in an attempt to modernize the floor plan. The wall will have to be removed, likely supported by posts and a beam. Note the location of the windows, which I am willing to work to adjust, and the chimney (which I most likely am not). I would like to do much of the work myself, but will sub out plumbing and structural work I am not comfortable with.

All designs must feature:
  • Large\double sink with garbage disposal
  • Dishwasher (small is ok)
  • Continuous counter with range\oven (I HATE the current location)
  • Some small seating area with stools -- no need for a kitchen table. It's just my wife and I, and will can setup a table in another room when we rarely need it.

Original

Option 1

This option will be a u-shaped counter. Wall will be removed and supported. Some plumbing and gas lines for oven, but they are probably re-routing the existing lines (which I believe come up in chimney).

Option 2

Similar to option 1, but the counter will have to be negotiated around the chimney. Does allow for some additional space -- but is it worth having to wrangle the chimney?

Option 3

The most aggressive in terms of running plumbing and gas lines since they are not opposite the existing lines (up through attic above???) and will therefore have the highest cost. Living room space is somewhat smaller but kitchen is really opened up.

So, anyone out there have an opinion on

1) Which is the most functional
2) What about the chimney and how it the counter effects it?
3) What about design 3? Will it be dramatically more expensive to have someone run the lines to the opposite wall somehow?

Many thanks!
-James

CaptChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

My opinion is that option 1 is the best but put the refer on the wall as in option 2.

Option three looks like it might be cool but ultimately impractical.

You did ask for opinions and we all know what those are like.

Andy.

AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #3

You need to be careful with door conflicts with the corner cabinet and the appliance next to it, whether the stove or the dishwasher.
Option 2 with modifications.
Move the stove down closer to the chimney, eliminating the narrow cabinet.
Shift the sink to the corner .
Move the dishwasher over to the left and put a cabinet between it and the corner cabinet.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #4

Thanks, Andy. I'm leaning that way myself. I nervous about the chimney though -- wondering if anyone has had any experience working with something like this.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

I'm not sure which layout I prefer. Corner cabinets are awkward space wasters at best, so I like option 1 with the sink in the corner since it seems to make better use of this space. OTOH, as the one in this house that does most of the dishes, I really, really appreciate a window over the sink as in option 2.

On a similar note, if you go with the peninsula, I would consider having access to that corner cabinet from the bar stool side as well.

In option 2, I would not make the area between the fridge and chimney counter. I see it as ending up a small, dark, wasted corner. I would either make it a refrigerator height cabinet or turn the fridge so the back is to the chimney.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #6

Talking

Thanks, everyone for the feedback. Will update my floor plans -- keep it coming!

Tags
design, remodel kitchen