Help Figuring Out New Kitchen - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Help Figuring Out New Kitchen

Hello!

We are just now closing on a house within the next week with a large well planned out kitchen that is very clean and functional - but very outdated. We are looking to change out the backsplash, some of the trim with the bubbled design, the counters, and the floors, and some other little things like the sink - but we want to do it all ourselves and keep the cabinets their current color and style, since we think they are worth saving. Anyone seen this done with this tone? Any ideas for directions to go? We are looking to make a slow change to grey appliances as they break as well... Open to any ideas for this!

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Help Figuring Out New Kitchen-kitchen1.jpg   Help Figuring Out New Kitchen-kitchen2.jpg  

Advertisement

charster85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,098

idk exactly what you are asking. but i will say = yeah, that floor has to go.

other than that. move into the place and live there for a lil while. look at and use the kitchen. this will help you get a better idea of what you want.

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
MaineLL (05-01-2015), MTN REMODEL LLC (04-16-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #3

Haha good point didn't look at the wording there... I am basically asking how I can make the current cabinets work with new floor, backsplash etc. - what materials, colors, would match so that we can keep the current cabinetry - I agree though and it's good to see someone else thinks the same - I think the current floor is the first thing to fix.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 108

That looks like a BIG kitchen, I like the size!

Depends what you want for countertops; Corian or granite, I don't think you can do those as DIY. Can't see the sink well in the one pic to determine what it is like.

I do think you need to be in there awhile before you decide. I did not see where you are located; this room could be very dark in the Winter months. There is not much lighting in there, nor many windows. With those dark cabinets, it may be best to wait. Do you have children who will do homework there? Will you use a laptop there for your work? If you are north or northeast, we get darkness by 4:30 PM for a time.

The kitchen in my house is a middle room, no windows. It had those dark cabinets, one small ceiling light and the fan with lights similar to your photo. I could not stand it! Redid it (after living with it for 6 years) with light colored cabinets, put daylight white lights in the fan fixture, and added a 4 tube flourescent over the other part of the room. Plus I put in under cabinet lighting, with a wall switch. SO much more enjoyable in there now.

As for backsplash, are you thinking tile? Did you know you can get some great murals online? And, if you use a Corian countertop, you can order switch plates, outlet covers and cabinet handles to match!

Here is a link to my kitchen before and after, 2008. You will see the old dark version and, during the reno, you will see the prior owners put one thing over another and then did that again! The room had 3 DIFFERENT types of wall paneling and wall paper, and it is not nearly as large as yours. We had the soffit removed to gain much needed cabinet space. Then you will see the completed version, tile murals, accent tiles, new lighting, Corian countertop w/ matching electric covers and cabinets, etc.
http://s133.photobucket.com/user/sfs...tml?sort=3&o=1
Freedomsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #5

I also just noticed, both your range and your fridge stick out further than the base cabinets and counter. My "before" kitchen was like that; made sure it was all flush in the after version.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by charster85 View Post
- I think the current floor is the first thing to fix.

Only after you determine that the existing cabinets will stay. Else you may be wasting money, effort and time.

The wood is darker than I prefer but then 100K Cherry cabinets often are also. There is always some combination of color in materials that makes the best of the colors you have.

Move in and live with what is there for 6 month to a year. Then decide.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,338

I think pickled white floor. I used formica floating floor for my kitchen and liked the durability and cleaning, but took a beating when selling the house.

Sunken refrigerator is a great feature, but the doors must stick out so they can open more than 90 deg. To remove ice tray, you need 180 more or less.

You should install range hood to exhaust outside.

If you put a new floor in, your range will be higher than the countertop and the dishwasher may run out of room overhead. I think installing the countertop higher would be better choice.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #8

Thanks, we were definitely going to put a microhood or hood over the stove. As for the countertop height, would it be hard to raise?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:37 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,338

Looks like formica top. Likely fixed with screws from inside nailer or an angle. May have caulk or construction adhesive. If you see hard/brittle squeeze out, it may be adhesive at which point you should leave it alone or commit to replacing.

If screw only, remove the screws and/or you may have to cut the cabinet sides for inspection/access where the tops meet at a corner. Because you want to save the top, don't force anything. If any part does not lift or shift, you must confirm visually.

If top must be lifted, just make sure the mitered corner come up even and together. Don't let the counter ends hang lower. Miter butt ends may be glued (I always protect these ends with silicon) so careful moving is a must. You don't want to break the seal or disturb the sit of the clamp under the miter.

The dishwasher may have extra room or adjusting legs. It has to pull straight out. This is where you need to make a decision on moving the counter.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomsand View Post
I also just noticed, both your range and your fridge stick out further than the base cabinets and counter. My "before" kitchen was like that; made sure it was all flush in the after version.
A big fridge will stick out regardless if it is deeper than 24 inches. Right?
MT Stringer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks, we were definitely going to put a microhood or hood over the stove. As for the countertop height, would it be hard to raise?
That would depend on your new counter top material and your installer. It may or may not make the cabinets look bad if it is raised by adding a 3/4 deck on top of the cabinets.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Hello!

We are just now closing on a house within the next week with a large well planned out kitchen that is very clean and functional - but very outdated. We are looking to change out the backsplash, some of the trim with the bubbled design, the counters, and the floors, and some other little things like the sink - but we want to do it all ourselves and keep the cabinets their current color and style, since we think they are worth saving. Anyone seen this done with this tone? Any ideas for directions to go? We are looking to make a slow change to grey appliances as they break as well... Open to any ideas for this!

Thanks!!
I think you need to hire a designer to help with color palet, materials an such. All these guys know how to do is drive square headed nails!
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (04-16-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 07:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
True.

In my case, the 'old' fridge was out from the wall due to the way the prior owner had jury-rigged the electric. The gas range stood out from the wall due to where the gas line was. The electrician addressed the fridge issue; a plumber licensed to work with gas addressed the gas line, he had to lower it about 8 inches so it would fit inside the rear of the range. Apparently old (1950's) gas ranges had a high gas connection; today that is all lowered.
The Following User Says Thank You to Freedomsand For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (04-15-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #14

Thanks a lot for all the replys! A lot of stuff to keep in mind, and love the before/after album. More lighting would be important, most likely added cans or under cabinets. Never even thought about the appliances sticking out!
The Following User Says Thank You to charster85 For This Useful Post:
Freedomsand (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #15
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 3,822

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
I do flips now and then.... and counter depth refrigerators are $PRICEY$ ... and also smaller.

I often recess it into the wall 3.5 inches (or as appropriate if 2x6 framing).... frame it out/header and a cabinet grade ply at the back.... sometimes have to move electrical (like recessed into a adjoining cabinet.... sometimes move the ice maker feed....)

But I think it makes a big difference aesthetically.... and you still have a full size refer.

Best

Peter

Advertisement