Help With Cabinet Overlay - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with cabinet overlay

Big problems for me....

Standard overlay is going to be 1/2. Both me and my wife want to go a little larger. The company that we are going through suggests 1 1/4 added to each opening to each side to help lessen the face area. That sounds all fie and dandy but my cabinets dont seem to agree with that. Areas cant support that measurement increase. So my question now is where do I "fix" the numbers. I cant simply take some here add some that I know. I want to have the most uniform look as possible but I dont know if the pocket hinges will accommodate without better measurements than just adding 2 1/2" to each over all measurement.
Some doors are flush with the bottom of the face area, other double doors meet each other with no face in-between them. Is it better to give them face area measurements that door measurements? I can contact the company on Tuesday but wanted to have all the measurements done by then.
We are using www.kitchenreface.com has anyone used them before?

Here is a crude drawing to better describe my issue. All measurements are in inches.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by refused; 11-09-2013 at 06:24 PM.
refused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

If your cabinets are non standard, with different sized frames, then you have to measure and calculate each one individually, and order the size you need rather than having them do any type of standard calculations. THere is no formula for non standard materials. They can be any size that you want to order, and you will have to take the responsibility for deciding what sizes you need.

Dealing with non standard anything is a pain. It would lead me to say that you ought to consider replacement rather than refacing.

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

BTW, the other elephant in the room when attempting to do full overlay doors is clearances between doors and tall objects, doors and walls, doors and appliances, and hardware interferences. All of that has to be taken into consideration.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live_Oak View Post
If your cabinets are non standard, with different sized frames, then you have to measure and calculate each one individually, and order the size you need rather than having them do any type of standard calculations. THere is no formula for non standard materials. They can be any size that you want to order, and you will have to take the responsibility for deciding what sizes you need.

Dealing with non standard anything is a pain. It would lead me to say that you ought to consider replacement rather than refacing.
Thanks for the response. What if we were to do 1" overlay? That would have clean edges on the bottom and where the doors meet but not around the other areas that are 3" wide. How do you measure and give them accurate measurements with these odd size faces? Would you tell them 3'' overlay on one side 1" on the other 2" on top and 1" on bottom?
refused is offline   Reply With Quote