Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #1

Share |

Help With Bathroom Fan Wiring

Hello, my bathroom fan was really noisy so I decided to replace it. I am not the most knowledgeable handy man in the world, but I thought that this would be really easy. Boy, was I wrong. I thought it would be a screw here, an outlet here and I'm done.

After having one heck of a time getting the old unit out, I now can move forward with putting the new one in. This one has a light, but I'm perfectly fine with the light and fan operating with the same light switch.

My problem is with the wiring. The manufacturer's instructions are junk! I have no clue what they're trying to indicate and they don't account for all of their own wires!

Here's what I have coming out of my bathroom wall (rewiring is not an option): a red wire and a white wire (well, wires covered with red and white plastic, obviously). Here's what I have from my fan/light: a blue wire, a black wire, a green wire and TWO white wires, non-descriptively labeled and I wouldn't be able to tell which of the wires went to which component (fan or light) unless I completely took the whole unit apart: I just can't see in there.

Which wires go to which wires? Also, if I'm supposed to hook up, say, both of the white wires from the fan/light to the white wire sticking out of the ceiling, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the total lack of knowledge I have with regards to wiring. I'm a computer programmer, not an electrician

vbullingere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #2

Help With Bathroom Fan Wiring

Took a guess and got it right: green is ground, black and blue both go to the red and both whites go to the white.

vbullingere is offline   Reply With Quote