DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

"Hazed-out" new backsplash

Tags
traverine
2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 ·
HELP!!! We just installed a new Travertine Chairo 4" stone backsplash. Laying the tiles went great. Very slow, but looks great. Then last Friday my husband grouted. Everything looks GREAT as long as the tiles are Wet or Damp. We did use the "Superior" brand sealer before we grouted. As the store directed us to do. We have already used "DUPONT" Grout Haze remover. It did help some, but not nearly enough. The tiles themselves are very porous and have a lot of natural imperfections on them. The more I read about what the problem is. The more upset I'm getting. Is this ALL the grout haze? Could it be a "salt residue" that was brought to the surface? Could it be we used the wrong type of grout and the stone is reacting to some chemical in that grout? I'm so lost on what to do next. Plus I'm afraid to "try" something and then find out (DON'T USE THAT PRODUCT) and make things even worst. Any professional insight would be very much appreciated.

#2 ·
I'm not real familiar with the products you are using but try wiping the surface down with a sponge with some water with some vinegar in it.Have laid lots of tile just not familiar with your products.The water and vinegar can't hurt and may work.
You may have waited to long to clean the grout on a porous tile and it may take some work.

#3 ·
You chose one of the most proses tiles there is, sealing before installing would have been the way I would have gone.
Make a note, ask here before doing anything.
Never take the advice from a box store!!!

#4 ·
Tell us exactly what grout you used---

I would not use straight vinegar on travertine---acid (vinegar) will etch the surface and remove any gloss---if it is a tumbled stone or matt finish? Maybe--but test first--

#6 ·
I know that----the diluted vinegar you suggested might be just fine.

However, people being people--I thought they might move on to straight vinegar if the dilute mix didn't work----

Which could be a problem.

#8 ·
mako1 said:
Mike: I did not suggest straight vinegar if you would read my post you would see that. I suggested water with a little vinegar to test.

Mike, We used "pro-grout sanded" by Superior Chemicals. All the products we used were purchased from "The Tile Company" . And we did seal once and we installed them. Waited a couple of days. Then grouted.

#10 ·
oh'mike said:
Have you tried adding sealer again to one or two tiles? I've had the sealer wipe off small traces of haze---
Yes, did nothing. Was that the right grout mix we used?? My husband is so discussed. He wants me call a company in and "fix it". Or he going to tear it all out. I just can't believe that's are only option. I'm not ready to give up yet.

#13 ·
Sorry for the delayed response---

Try vinegar---or buy sulfamic acid crystals---any tile shop will have them---Home Depot might?

Tumbled is always a pain to grout---but the rough surface will not show damage from the acid wash---

#14 ·
Well, we used the DuPont heavy duty grout haze remover full strength and a hard nylon brush last night. We finally feel like we made real headway. The tiles feel smooth and look pretty clean. But the color is washed out looking. Will vinegar help that?? The tiles look Great while their wet. I'm planning on using a color enhancing sealer on the tiles. I was going to seal the grout lines with a regular sealer and a little brush. I was told the grout line could take the enhancer spotty. So that's why. Do you think this is a good plan?? Thanks for everything all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.