Hardwood Flooring Install - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2017, 05:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 52

hardwood flooring install

3 questions:

1. do i need to put down any type of barrier down on plywood floor before laying hardwood floors in bathroom?

2. i have a small bathroom and the 2.25wide hardwood flooring will run parallel to tub. is it best to start at tub and go to door or from door to tub?

2. what is the proper height of toilet flange above wood flooring and can i make adjustments to the flange height after floor is installed?

thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

owenpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 14,014

Re: hardwood flooring install

#1, Just a really really bad idea to lay any form of wood or laminate flooring in a bathroom!

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 06:14 AM   #3

I knew someone would comment on that. For the record, I grew up in an older home that had wood floors in the bathroom. There was never an issue with water. The floors still look great to this day. I was really looking for answers to my questions.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

-Put down a regular flooring underlayment.

-I would start at tub and work back. Measure and see what you will end up with at door before you start. Can you put a saddle on top to cover a thin piece at door?

-Set flange so it sits right on top of wood floor.

I second the suggestion not to do it. But maybe you take very neat showers and water on the floor is not an issue for you. Use an oil-based polyurethane.

gary.bruzzese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:17 AM   #5

Thanks Gary

Could you please elaborate? Don't know all the lingo.

as it is now, the flooring would be exactly level with hallway hardwood, so putting a saddle shouldn't be an issue.

1.What exactly is a regular flooring underlayment? I have 1" plywood on the floor now.
2. "Set flange so it sits right on top of wood floor"
With 3/4" flooring the flange would sit 1/4" above floor level. is this adequate?
Old 03-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,684

If you will measure the depth of the wax ring recess that was cast into the bottom of the toilet I believe you will find that the flange top surface flush with the finished floor will work every time with a standard 1" thick wax ring.

Calculate it with the flange being on top of the floor and see how much wax remains as a seal. As you can see you'll have a deformed wax ring mess.
Attached Thumbnails
hardwood flooring install-toilet-bottom-wax-2015-.jpg   hardwood flooring install-toilet-wax-smu-2015.jpg  
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenpga View Post
Thanks Gary

Could you please elaborate? Don't know all the lingo.

as it is now, the flooring would be exactly level with hallway hardwood, so putting a saddle shouldn't be an issue.

1.What exactly is a regular flooring underlayment? I have 1" plywood on the floor now.
2. "Set flange so it sits right on top of wood floor"
With 3/4" flooring the flange would sit 1/4" above floor level. is this adequate?

1- use felt paper over your plywood

2-the bottom of the flange will sit and be screwed into the top of the hardwood. I would pre-drill your holes through the hardwood.

They have new products out that replace the traditional wax ring. I've tried them and so far I like them. They will give directions on how to set the toilet based on where the flange is in relation to the floor.

gary.bruzzese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 1,560

Different strokes for different folks I guess, so here are mine. Since the new floor height will match the old, I wouldn't use a saddle threshold. Start at the door and work to the back. Custom cut the first row to but up to the old flooring. Personally I try to avoid raised thresholds to stub my tow on.
I would not mount the toilet flange to the top of the hardwood flooring. Hardwood expands and contracts too much. Either mount it directly to the plywood, and use a deep throat gasket, or you could make a round spacer out off 3/4 plywood to glue and fasten to floor.
Lastly I stopped using wax rings several years ago for several good reasons. I use a rubber one. There are several on the market. I use this one.

Hope you have a good fan in this bathroom. Equally important to not spilling water on the floor is the humidity control. Constant high humidity will lead to swelling, cupping, and lifting. Plenty of disastrous outcomes possible in doing this.
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:04 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 264

Had wood floors in my hall bath for twenty something years. Use felt paper, I always used double wax ring as well.

BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 300

Is there a raised threshold under the door? Expansion gaps are a good idea. Consider using shoe molding against the tub to hide an expansion gap and seal the top of the shoe molding to the tub to keep water from running down and getting under the floor. If the threshold is raised you could use molding to hide an expansion gap here. Aquabar B is a good moisture retarder for under the hardwood....but it does have kraft paper facing on both sides. Measure the distance from door to tub and see how many floor boards it will take....if you come up with fractional boards split the different at both ends so you don't wind up with a narrow board at either end. Bathroom with tub/shower will have large humidity swings to so be aware of the hardwood's moisture content when you install it. Also, be careful to control bathroom temp and humidity to avoid toilet bowl condensation which will get to the hardwood flooring.
JIMMIEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:20 AM   #11

So I'm starting to consider other options with flooring for bathroom. Cork and bamboo keep coming up on my searches for good alternatives to tiling. I see there are some that snap together and others you glue down. What are some opinions out there regarding these materials. I'm trying to avoid tile as its way to cold to stand on in the mornings. thanks
Old 03-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #12

if i buy a prefinished hardwood, can i still apply a sealer? It would seem like i would need to light sand it first? thanks
Old 03-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #13
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 1,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenpga View Post
if i buy a prefinished hardwood, can i still apply a sealer? It would seem like i would need to light sand it first? thanks

Why would you want to? It will not look nearly as good as the factory spray finish on it. But if that's your wish, most definitely need to sand first.

Maybe just install unfinished gunstock, sand and coat yourself. You will save about 2 to 3 dollars per square foot.
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,730

Consider vinyl plank flooring, no water worries with it.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #15

i was thinking from a sealing concept, it might be better to put multiple coats of sealer on the entire floor covering all seams as it will be in a bathroom. not sure if that's makes any sense to do versus just puttin the finished floor down.

Advertisement